• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 OTC Differential Bearing Preload Wrench

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a LOCAL resource for the Chrysler OTC Differential Bearing Preload Wrench?

I need one for a C8.25 ring and pinion install.

I would order one online, but I am trying to get these gears installed next Monday and I'm sure the wrench won't be delivered in time.

Sears? I hate to know what a dealer wants for one, but I guess I can try there.

And no I won't be making one for $5. No welding equipment, or the 15 minutes to learn how to weld. ;)

You might ask your local dealership if you can borrow theirs. You might have to offer to give them a holding deposit of its cost.

Make one. All you need is a piece of tube & 2 front hub nuts.
HPIM1009.jpg

HPIM1008.jpg

JIM.

ILLXJ said:
HPIM1009.jpg

HPIM1008.jpg

JIM.

......and a Diet Coke.:wave:

ILLXJ said:
HPIM1009.jpg

HPIM1008.jpg

JIM.

Front hub nut? From a Dana 30? The problem is I don't understand what this is fitting into/on the differencial.

Mudderoy said:
Front hub nut? From a Dana 30? The problem is I don't understand what this is fitting into/on the differencial.
yes hub nuts from a d30. they fit into a hex shaped hole. the 8.25 is centered in the housing by two rings that rotate in the bearing caps. they have that hole in the side and turn to move the carrier left and right and set the preload on the bearings.

if i had a pic of the carrier this would make more sense.. lol.

the chrysler tool looks just like the tool ILLXJ made.

Ok then i need two dana 30 hub nuts. a big ass washer and a long pipe. I would assume a metal water pipe would be fine. Just needs to be smaller around than the nut.

two nuts because one fits into the carrier "hex" hole and the other you use to put a wrench on to turn it. I think that's a 36mm nut, so you could use a 1/2 drive torque wrench to torque it once it was adjusted.

Does that sound like I understand it?

yep. i wouldnt go setting it up by yourself if you've never done it before, but to make the tool yes you got it.

lol, I'm going to learn how to weld soon, but not now. No I have a father in-law that can weld it for me. I just need to get the parts. Thanks.

Mudderoy said:
lol, I'm going to learn how to weld soon, but not now. No I have a father in-law that can weld it for me. I just need to get the parts. Thanks.
i meant setting up the rear end not the tool ;) the tool is the easy part, knowing how to get the bearing preload right is the tricky part.

I made my own just like the pic, I've been using them for about 5 years and they work good.

I made 2 so I didn't have to move the tool from one side to the other while i was setting up the backlash/preload.

GrimmJeeper said:
i meant setting up the rear end not the tool ;) the tool is the easy part, knowing how to get the bearing preload right is the tricky part.

Having been watching the OP work his way through this process, he seems to have done his research and be up to the task.

Of course, only time will tell, but he's not firing from the hip.

cal said:
Having been watching the OP work his way through this process, he seems to have done his research and be up to the task.

Of course, only time will tell, but he's not firing from the hip.

lol, thanks for the vote of confidence, however I'm not going to be installing the gears. I'd like to, I hate having to depend on someone else to do something for me. I have a mechanic lined up. His office PC was useless to him because of virus and malware. I fixed it so he's setting up the gears for me! :D

I'll be watching closely though.

He doesn't have this tool so I'm trying to get this problem resolved before Monday when I have planned to go to his shop.

Ok my mechanic just called. He says he has all the welding stuff, so I'll just bring the parts.

Thanks guys! Looks like the gear install is back on for Monday! I'll be getting 22-24 mpg after the install! lol, yeah right.

OMG! It gets better and better. Oreily's doesn't carry the F**King nut. I called the dealership and they don't have one, but they can order one for $36 each!

This is insane.

Plus I get home with the ring bolts from the dealership and they don't fit the C8.25 4:56 ring!

I should have bought a used C8.25 and HP D30 from a junk yard, and practiced on them, then did it myself. I may still.

redXJlimited said:
36mm = 1.42" or 1 7/16"
You may be able to locate a large nut or bolt in standard instead that will work.

Step 1: Open desk drawer
Step 2: Remove large pointy spike from drawer
Step 3: Place pointy spike on desk, pointed side up.
Step 4: Thrust head on spike!
Step 5: Rinse and repeat

Ok I feel better now. Just had to let some of that pressure out of my head.

Thanks. After flopping around for a little bit like a fish out of water, I thought of that. I'm going to hit Sears hardware store tomorrow, Lowe's and Home Depot.

I mean OMG $34 for a NUT, and they have to order the damn thing! :banghead:

Thanks. I need to see if they have a store locally.

Hey! That is close. And that is the price God intened nuts to cost! :D

Thanks!

Back