• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires and lift

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2in OME lift on my XJ, I also have 31s. OME says their lift allows fitment of 31s. However, I rub bad when making sharp turns. Is this normal, or is there something I need to do. Also does anyone else get this problem?

Thanks,
Silent

how aggressive are the 31's?? the more aggressive the tire the more likely to rub

I have Goodyear MT/R's. Is there anything I can do besides get a new lift. I mean the lift is not even a year old yet, not too mention OME said it would fit. If I knew they did not do their research I would have waited and gone bigger lift. Anyhow, what can I do?

Silent

backspacing on rims, you could change out your CAs to a tubular disegn if thats where its rubbing.

Id say get a 1 inch spacer front and rear 1 inch shackle and trim w/e it rubs on!

I looks like it is rubbing on the back part of the wheel well where the bottom of the fender is on both sides. Also some on the front of the wheel well. It is rubbing on that plastic inside the wells. If I remove that and trim a bit, would that get rid of it? Also, the back space is stock. Also where could I get spacer and shackle from?

Silent said:
I looks like it is rubbing on the back part of the wheel well where the bottom of the fender is on both sides. Also some on the front of the wheel well. It is rubbing on that plastic inside the wells. If I remove that and trim a bit, would that get rid of it? Also, the back space is stock. Also where could I get spacer and shackle from?

ebay.

and yea, get some better rims.
it'll help a lot with rubbing

if all else fails, bust out the sawsall

ACOS....or poly spacer on top of the coil spring. Add an extra leaf in the rear (OME makes an AAL that compliments their leaf pack) or get a 1" boomerang shackle from, oh, say...JKS. Adjustable control arms. if you like the rims you have, but they're stock backspacing, get some 1" wheel spacers.

and like bluejeepkid said, if all else fails....start cuttin'!

Give Dirk @ DPGOffroad.com a call for all your OME needs!!!

Which track bar are you running? did you just get springs and shocks to do your lift?

Yes, I got the 2in kit, shocks (front and rear), leafs, coils, and steering stabliser. I am running stock track bar. Also, I do not want to mess with back space.

well, if you're running a stock track bar, your axle isnt centered under the body...so you're probably rubbing on one side quite a bit, right? (Passenger side would be my guess)

What do you mean you dont want to "mess with back space". Personally, I think 5" of backspace sucks ass. You're gonna rub whether you have 2 or 3 inches of lift. I run 3.75" and I think its perfect. I realize you dont want to get new rims, thats why I suggested hub/wheel spacers (Spidertraxx makes some)

Silent said:
I have Goodyear MT/R's. Is there anything I can do besides get a new lift. I mean the lift is not even a year old yet, not too mention OME said it would fit. If I knew they did not do their research I would have waited and gone bigger lift. Anyhow, what can I do?

Silent

You are thinking waaay too hard. You just need rims with less backspacing. Like someone said before as well you should buy an adjustable trackbar too. Your axle is off a little bit from the lift which can cause it to rub on the passenger side. Another thing you may be rubbing is your control arms. Get some adjustable lower control arms and you won't rub those either. You can run 33s on a 2 inch lift if you put some sawzall in it. You have nothing to worry about.

Its not a matter of OME not doing their research. You just haven't taken all of the necessary steps yet.

:patriot:

EDIT: There is no 'messing with the back space'

With any lift from 2-4 inches you need to get some rims that will put the tire out farther. You will rub no matter what. Buy some el cheapo cragars with <4 inches of backspacing and call it a day.

Yeah, I looked into it, but not as deep as I needed to I guess. I will be looking into the trimming. I just do not know how and where to do it. I do not see where it is hitting the CA's though. Also, if I already have my rims there is nothing I can do about the backspacing, so I am down to the trimming and track bar.

Silent

How well do the spidertraxx work? Also, does anyone run them and how do you like them. One thing, are they good for a DD?

Last edited:
Well, I feel stupid. I thought I could just get a wider rim and larger tires and be good. Now, I feel like I messed up my rig by not looking into the back spacing issue. And, I know nothing about wheel spacers and how safe they are.

Silent said:
Well, I feel stupid. I thought I could just get a wider rim and larger tires and be good. Now, I feel like I messed up my rig by not looking into the back spacing issue. And, I know nothing about wheel spacers and how safe they are.

Relax... I have wheeled hard with wheel spacers to mate wheels I wanted to keep & reduce backspacing. As long as you keep them torqued, (which you should do with your wheels anyway), you will have zero issues running 31's. I was running 36x14.50x17's.:sunshine: and kept them at 110 ft lbs.

If I can get a budget boost consisting of shackles and spacers for front and maybe trim a bit up front would I be good? Or do I need to get the wheel spacers too? Trying to minimize $$. Let me know.

Thanks,
Silent

Silent said:
If I can get a budget boost consisting of shackles and spacers for front and maybe trim a bit up front would I be good? Or do I need to get the wheel spacers too? Trying to minimize $$. Let me know.

Thanks,
Silent
You are missing the point. More height does not fix the issue. You just have to trim the inside of your fenders and bumpers a little bit. Its not a big deal at all. Breathe. Relax. Take a couple of photos for us.

Back