• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel BS for 30x9.5 on 3" lift

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched a lot and not found much info on this combo.

I know 30x9.5 tire on a 3 inch lift is not too common. But to gain some of the lost CoG and to have the tires flush with the flares, AND to wheel that setup (with disconnects), what kind of wheel backspacing would I need in order not to have any rubbing?

Also, would 30s look too lame on a 3" lift?

Can you please post pics if you are running this setup?

TIA

I have that setup and even have the fenders trimmed and STILL RUB!It looks great and has great flex,other guys have 33s and 35s,there always rubbing and or rolling.If the tire gets in the metal then it dont hit the mud!These guys think the higher the better,its how you get to power to the ground.
Definatily lock the rear,and for real hard core lock the front.Make sure you have like new mudders and you will go anywhere.

I don't forsee you having any rubbing issues on a 3" lift with 30's unless you plan on flexing the hell out of it and making extremely tight turns. I have a 3" lift on 31's and I have little to no issues with either. Yes, 30's will look kind of small and silly on a 3" lift.

Jester99 said:
Yes, 30's will look kind of small and silly on a 3" lift.

That's what I am afraid of and why I called it unusual combo and wanted to see if anyone has a pic of that set up.

Here is a shot of mine a few years ago on 30"s, stock alloy wheels and a 3" OME lift. It would rub at full lock. A couple of washers under each steering limit bolt fixed it. The minimal rubbing in the fender was cured with a little trimming and BFH to flatten a few pinch seams.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1416466238/in/set-72157602095132574/

Thanks lazyxj. It doesn't look too bad at all, that is 30s and 3".

Does anyone else want to share a picture of this setup?

How about the backspacing Q? What to I use to get the tires to be flush with the fenders?

I would go with 4" BS. But 4.5" will be fine also.

I read somewhere that for every 2 inches of lift the tires should be pushed out by 1 inch. Can someone verify this?

I'm running ~2 - 2.5" with 30s on stock wheels.
Nothing rubs. Ever.
Looks good.

My dads rig back in the day on 3" and 30's

15x7 3.5" BS on a 3" lift w/ 30x9.50's

l_eaee6b6fc4c6b4d8c74cfa57f5985297.jpg

l_2248fd59290d1034b3df5b3f444c3205.jpg

l_9522b5bc0cae69d68ae466d588b9b6be.jpg

And after some fender trimming:

l_b28da7f4f2566ea51c8691580e034428.jpg

Maz said:
I read somewhere that for every 2 inches of lift the tires should be pushed out by 1 inch. Can someone verify this?

That seems unreasonable. I have 7" of lift, theres no way I could push my tires out by 3.5". :)

cal said:
That seems unreasonable.

Cal, you are right and there is a practical limit to that formula, assuming it's even correct. I just read it somewhere and wanted to see if that's something that matches peoples' experience.

I am trying to find the right balance between these:

1. Tire size (30x9.5 which is the constant in my equation)
2. Lift (2" or 3")
3. Max flex for wheeling (sway bars diconnected)
4. No rubbing (what wheel backspace so the wheels are as far out as possible)

:confused:

I'd just run them on stock wheels if i were you. They may rub your LCA's at full lock, but thats probably about it.

If you are concerned about it, pick up some 15x7 alloy wheels with 4.5" backspacing and run them.

This was 32x11.5's on stock wheels and you can see they almost clear, and only really rubbed the LCA's. You'd be a full inch narrower on each side.

dsc00435.jpg

dsc00434.jpg

Damn, when I took those photos, i thought that rig was hardcore and had crazy flex.

Its funny just how much our perspective changes.

Back