• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud ticking lifter or somthing

92jeepxjOR

NAXJA Forum User
So I thought it was just a cracked exhaust manifold making the ticking noise but now I'm pretty sure its a lifter making the noise it sounds like its coming from the center of the valve cover it will do it when its warming up then if I shut it off and restart it it will stop doing it till I start driving for a few minutes but not constantly so I'm confused so any advice or help would be really appreciated BTW its a 92 4.0

I started to get sticky lifter after xj sitting for 3 years.
If it's a manual trans next time it warms and starts to tick I stall it and it goes away until next cold warm up.
My tick has since gone away, I switched to Mobil1 "High Mileage" 10-30, have used some sea-foam, and Marvel Mystery Oil before oil changes. Seems to have dissolved what ever was sticking lifter.

Good Luck,
Harlee

Common problem for 4.0s. Just use one or more of the suggestions already listed below. I use MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) to keep my ticking down when cold. My ticking has just about disapeared over the last 30,000 miles, regular oil and filter changes and steady diet of MMO works wonders!:D

Use a good oil!!!

Don't expect instant results with MMO, it works slowly, but it also works safer in my opinion. The ticking is not going to hurt anything. There are more aggresive products out there, but they risk knocking loose lots of sludge all at once which can kill the oil pump, or worse, in my opinion. Many people get away with a more aggressive clean ups, but I suspect it at least shortens the engines life if it is overdone.

Ecomike said:
risk knocking loose lots of sludge all at once which can kill the oil pump, or worse
I agree with Ecomike also part of the reason for the change to my current oil choice as well as a few other reasons, but gradual clean up mostly.
Also a great way to find any seals that need to be changed.
I've also started using strong magnets (like those on name tags) on my oil filter to help trap any floating steel shavings. Last filter I cut open I did find filings even after 180k mi.

Back