• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing an MJ?

EnderUSAF

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be out in california in a few weeks and would like to bring a comanche back with me to tucson. I'll be driving an 08 ford explorerer. Do you think there would be any problems with me just flat towing the MJ? It has no tranny or xfer case in it, and if needed I can even pull out the engine since I won't be using it either. Also does anyone know of any flat towing kits out there for a xj/mj? It currently has a stock bumper. My dad out in cali is a journeymen welder / pipe fitter. Would I be fine just having him fab up something using the bumper mounts to pull from or is there any kits made for this that are already made and ready to go?

Sounds really sketch to me. Go and rent a car dolly to make things easy.

x2. Rent or borrow a dolly. Should be under $100. Uhaul car dollies are cheap, but they can be a pain about renting them if they think your tow vehicle is too small.

Towbar it.

Its been done, Pete M of ComancheClub.com drug his *very* modified (HP Ford 44/9" on 35's + full trail gear) 1988 MJ with a Dodge Durango of the same size. Did it on the freeway too, IIRC about 300 miles.

Yours is stripped almost clean, a towbar will do it.

Back