• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 - 4:56 - Trac Lock

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to cover all the bases prior to the 3:55 to 4:56 gear swap next Monday on my HP Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 with Trac Lock.

I am concerned that the Trac Lock will pose some problems, special tools, etc.. Since I am not adding a locker right now, will we even have to mess with the Trac Lock in the C8.25?

I have combo kit coming in today. (And new carrier for the Dana 30) In addition I have purchased...

Friction modifier
RP fluid for front and rear
RTV
I am picking up a Chrysler crush sleeve from the local dealership today along with a 40 tooth speedo gear.

Should I get any additional parts, outer bearings seals? I've never had the axles out of the C8.25 so I dunno.

Hasta

Well I received some of the parts today. The master overhaul kit for the C8.25 is missing the ring bolts! You can see in the plastic where they were.

They are sending some out, but looks like they won't get here until Monday, and that's the day of the install.

Hopefully I can buy some replacements locally. :doh:

I have 4.56 on a trac-loc in my c8.25. No problems here. Have to grind one tooth on the ring gear to fit the diff pin in. You don't have to grind very much. Wish I have a picture to show you.

Thanks! Just knowing that will help.

Make sure you align the ring gear so that you only have to grind one tooth instead of two(some others can chime in w/ specifics).

Mbood82 (not sure if he's on here, but he's definitely over on jeepin.com) has geared an 8.25 and has some good pics of the grinding that he did.

My advice would be not to gear the 8.25, or at least get an open carrier for it. Cause if you want to add a locker, you'll have to re-do the gears to do a full case locker, or you'll have to re-do the gears if you want to add an open carrier with a lunchbox locker.

Find a D44 or 8.8!!!

mjma said:
Find a D44 or 8.8!!!

why should he get rid of a perfectly good 29 spline 8.25 if its already installed under thejeep? to gain marginal strength?:wave1:

mjma said:
Mbood82 (not sure if he's on here, but he's definitely over on jeepin.com) has geared an 8.25 and has some good pics of the grinding that he did.

My advice would be not to gear the 8.25, or at least get an open carrier for it. Cause if you want to add a locker, you'll have to re-do the gears to do a full case locker, or you'll have to re-do the gears if you want to add an open carrier with a lunchbox locker.

Find a D44 or 8.8!!!

They have a powertrax no slip for trac-loc 8.25's

DeftwillP said:
why should he get rid of a perfectly good 29 spline 8.25 if its already installed under thejeep? to gain marginal strength?:wave1:

For cheaper more readily available parts??? Just a suggestion.

rmm727 said:
They have a powertrax no slip for trac-loc 8.25's

Ahh, I forgot about that. well there ya go, I guess the 8.25 isn't that bad of a choice after all.

wow, im impressed your gonna gear it yourself, good for you. It will save you a lot of money. I however dont think ill be able to tackle such a task.. are you gonna do a write up?

emr1101 said:
wow, im impressed your gonna gear it yourself, good for you. It will save you a lot of money. I however dont think ill be able to tackle such a task.. are you gonna do a write up?

Don't be. I wanted to, but when I asked here why people say have a trained mechanic do it, the response was "if you have to ask don't do it yourself..."

It worked out ok, because my mechanic had a nice infestation of viruses on his business PC. I spent 20 hours removing them, and he's going install the gears for me.

I'll have the camera with me though, because I intend on learning how and having some pics as a reminder.

Locker; My plan is to put in the Powertrax noslip later. I'd love to do it now, but expenses won't allow it. From what I have read I can remove the Trac Lock and replace it with the Powertrax noslip without having to touch the gear, or it's set up.

I am planing a selectable locker for the front, probably the Detroit air locker. I understand that will require the gears in the Dana 30 to be re-set up. The front locker will be the last thing I do, if I do it at all. I mean $1000 for a front locker?!?!?

I like the 8.25. It's paid for and with 29 spline, well it seems the main thing that I need to do is get the pumpkin welded to the tubes. I may swap out the axles later for the stronger chrome mollys, but I think a lot of what I read has to do with rock crawling, and this rig is meant for mud and the dirt. It's always good to have the capability, cause you never know what you'll be faced with.

mjma said:

Find a D44 or 8.8!!!

Just double checking this. I read/was told that the lunchbox lockers you do not have to touch the gear setup.

Back