• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-fabbed Exo Cages

i dont thin anyone does ...

last i checked C-rok doesnt even offer those anymore ....

yea i emailed them bout 6 months ago and They told me they stopped building it ...

gotta fab your own of have someone fab it for you

Gravesdiggerxj said:
motion offroad??? isn't that guy from JU or whatever that got busted selling another company's exhaust manifolds for double the price?
Yep thats the dumb ass.

X2 on C-rok not making them anymore. I contacted him last fall all ready to buy one only to find he didn't offer it anymore.

I talked to a local fab shop and they wanted at least $1800 to do one, so I ended up building one myself.

Here's the build thread. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935795
Pm me or e-mail me if you have questions.

outlander said:
Jbwrx:Including bender,how much total do you have invested in that cage?Trying to get a ruff estimate on how much an exo is gonna cost me...

I think I figured around $1400, but of course that doesn't include my time. I was all set to pay for the c-rok cage, which he had listed at $1000 not including the guter tie ins, so I think I came out OK. More costly than an inner cage I guess.

I don't know what steel prices have gone up to right now though either. Obviously it will depend on if you use DOM or HREW (I went HREW).

I have to say, there are a few things I would change, but I am sooo glad I have the cage now. The extra weight kinda sucks, but I didn't notice any significant change in the COG due to the weight. I feel A LOT more comfortable wheeling it, so the whole expereince and the cost was worth it to me. (plus I learned a lot)

Here's a pic from running Pritchett Canyon in Moab this April. Didn't have to test it though! (thought I was going to a few times ;))
IMG_0076.jpg

I got a bender from Speedway motors (see the above link, there's a picture of it in there). Cost me $400 with a die. The radius is a 7" which is a hair bigger than others, but all in all it worked well for me.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/661...ydraulic-Round-Pipe-Bender.html?itemNo=bender

As for notching, a I used a Harbor Freight notcher, which worked OK, but was kind of finicky and probabaly slightly less than ideal. But it worked though. For some of the more intersting notching I finnessed things with an angle grinder.

I didn't see this until after I finished, but it would have helped big time in a few spots:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/8260,19_Pipemaster-Contour-Gauges.html

forgot to ask,have any idea how much a typical exo weighs?Did you notice a obvious change in the way it handles and fuel economy?
Sorry for the battery of questions...I'm weighing the good vs bad.

My exo weighs a little under 300lbs but that includes a tied in internal cage also... i did notice a difference in handeling in off camber situations, because of the extra weight & in some really tight spots it can get hung up a little....
Ive since removed the doors & the hatch & i did notice the difference in weight after that that.. im probably back near where i started before the cage.
I have aslo added door bars now, its really fixed the hang up problems i was having before as i can slide on something now from my front fender to the d pillar without it getting hooked up.

I don't know the exact weight of the cage, but I would guess in the 300 lb range. I bought 120' of tubing and that was around 240lbs according to teh shipping bill. I also plated the frame rails with 3x3 angle. In addition to a custom rear bumper with tire carrier and a front bumper witha winch. I also have a internal cargo rack in the rear with a heavy tool box. So she has definitely put on some weight.

Yes the extra weight has been noticable. I upgraded the front springs to BDS coils which have a higher 240lb spring rate. The Rok Kralwer coils were too soft at 190lb. Stumalump here on the board suggested the Deaver spring with the 280lb rate. The BDS front coils made a big difference. Handles great on the road and still flexes well off road. I might add the 1" spacers I used to have in wth my 3" coils. BDS coils = two thumbs up.

The rear leafs needed some help too. I have a set of OME leaves with an extra full length (2nd from the top) overload leaf. After Moab, the back end had settled, so I added in 2 more leaves from my old Pro Comp pack. It sits at 4.5" now with 9 leaves in each pack! But it rides great and I think handles better than it ever has. If I had to do it again, I would get a custom set of Alcans, which I may still do down the road.

Now with all that in mind, I think I have the ride pretty dialed in now. In Moab and in a few runs around here recently, I do not notice a higher center of gravity. It doesn't feel any more tippy than it did before. My buddy has an '89 with a very similar suspension set up (only no exo) and mine doesn't lean any more than his does when we run the same stuff.

I have noticed the weight in getting on the freeway (kinda feels piggish). Doesn't have the same get up and go, but it still moves. Part of that may have been from a clogged cat (which I am in the process of redoing my exhaust now) so we will have to wait and see.

I went back and forth on the internal versus exo for a long time before I did anything. I am glad I went the route I did. I feel if I flop it, I can get it back up right and still be OK.

A quick story for you guys. When we were in Moab in April we came across a guy in an XJ that had an exo on the Hell's Revenge trail. He was stuck in the Escalator because of a broken drag link. We waited for him to get out before taking our stab at it and he proceeded down the trail. Well, a little later on our way out, we see the Jeep laying on it's side and people climbing out the top (which was actually the side.) Seems as though he had some brain fart and flopped it in a spot that you normally wouldn't do that. We just hooked a tow strap to the top halo and about 5 or 6 of us tugged and rolled the Jeep back upright. They all got back in and kept driving.

Having seen this, I felt better about having the exo. Had this guy not had it, the Jeep would have been a mess, and potentially his family inside would have been hurt. Plus it showed me that stuff like that happens when you least expect it. Wish I had pictures...

Forgot to answer the fuel economy question. It sucks. But it sucked before the cage too! I can get about 18 on the interstate, but seem to average less than around town, and way less than that on wheeling trips. It's not a daily driver, so I am not too concerned about it.

Last edited:
Back