• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions sucks.

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I got an XJ a little while ago and it was not only in need of new tabs after this week, but in Washington you also have to pass the emissions test some week or two after your buy the car for the title to transfer.

Well we took it right after we got it, passed everything but failed the idle test by .07. Then we replaced the EVP valve, put in a new air filter, cleaned out the hoses, and then a new Catalyic converter. Well, my dad took it down for a test yesterday, it passed everything way better, but failed the idle again.

Now I'm with out a Jeep for a week as it's at the shop so it can be fixed and "excused" from the emissions test.

Gah this sucks!
Anyone know what could cause it to fail misserably at idle? I'll find out when I get it back on Monday, but it's a bummer I dont get it...I have a bunch of goodies coming to put on!

:smsoap:

*Rant over*

what was too high by .07? poor emissions only at idle would make searching for the problem easier, as you can check things at home, but without more info, we're only guessing at this point....

Just guessing... O2 sensor(s).

Make sure it is at operating temp when they do the test. Drive it around a little extra if you need to. (I don't know if this really helps, but I've done it a time or two)

Ya I'm more or less ranting, at this point we HAVE to have the shop look at it and get it excused, because the title wont transfer over. And of course, my new O2 sensor isnt coming until when it's too late, same for my new exhaust.

And yeah, the emissions was to high by .07...lame.

How are your vac lines at:
Manifold
Valve cover
MAP
EGR
I replaced these when my XJ failed smog by a hair, and it fixed the problem. And a new gas cap.

well I have all new vac lines for it now...problem was that all the parts I had for it to replace that would likely have fixed the problem, I either just got today, or am not expecting till the end of the week. I even got new gaskets

Back