• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle lil help

jeeping99tj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i have a 1989 xj with the 4.0 and aw4, 5" lift and 33's and stock gears. Well my problem is i have a rough idle and it runs poor when light acceration. It runs fine when your accerating. I just replaced CPS and the coil and still does it. The xj has 202.XXX. I think it might be the O2 sencer but i dont know. Only reason i think that is cause it goes threw gas fast.
IF you guys have any suggestions that would rock!

It could be the IAC (Idle Air Control) sensor - right next to the TPS, passenger side of the throttle body in a 4.0).

Remove the connector, then with with a screwdriver-style star-end tool #20 (it is tight to get the bottom screw out) remove the 2 mounting screws.

Once you have it off, remove the rubber o-ring and spray it with brake parts cleaner. Wipe off the carbon buildup, replace the o-ring and reinstall.

This solved my problem without buying a new sensor. Hope this helps some.

So what did you find out? Did cleaning your IAC fix the rough Idle? I have a 97 with a similar thing going on.

Back