• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Point Ticket WTF

cds36

NAXJA Forum User
Had a buddy call me and say he got a ticket for having his 4 point harness on and not the factory seat belt. His factory seat belts have been removed. He was pulled over not for speeding or anything else but because the Sheriff officer said he could not remove the factory seatbelts. :huh:

Does that make sense? Any of you guys herd of that before?

I have heard that its not legal to run harnesses on the street beacuse they are not "dot approved" but ive never heard that your not allowed to remove the stock seat belt. There is one company that makes a DOT approved harness but i cant remember who it is.

That sucks, i think its one of those things that depends on which cop you run by.

I have heard that harnesses are not legal on the street, but I had my local CHP (also a friend of mine) come on over and give my Jeep the once over...
He never said a word about my harnesses, of course, he was preoccupied with all the other stuff he didn't think was legal!

:D

sounds like some BS to me, But if he rolled and got knocked out and the thing caught on fire and no one around wasnt able to get him out, then it makes sense. but thats about it.

Back when I had my GTI I ran these. I got pulled over and my 6 year old son was in one and even told the cop "I have my seat belt on" and the cop didn't do anything (didn't even ask if they were DOT approved). Bad luck I guess.

Schroth has DOT approved harness'. I think there is another company but I an't remember who now. Schroth even make one called "autocontrol" which allows you to have a harness with a either locked solid ir retractable belt all in one.

There is the DOT approved harness

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuning/rallye/rallye-4

Here is the auto control

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuning/autocontrol/autocontrol-II

the reason he got a ticket is because the harnesses and the mounting points are not DOT approved. they may be safer than a stock belt but you really should keep your stock belts for street driving, they are required by law.

scottmcneal said:
Go and ask CHP for the law on this...DMV could have the code for this.. I think the cop is being a chit head, thats all...
hes probley just having safety for his life in an emergency.

Jump This said:
I have heard that harnesses are not legal on the street, but I had my local CHP (also a friend of mine) come on over and give my Jeep the once over...
He never said a word about my harnesses, of course, he was preoccupied with all the other stuff he didn't think was legal!

What, he didn't like the .50 turret on the top and the bong on the steering wheel?

"Dude, it's semi-automatic and that's just for tobacco!"

GSequoia said:
What, he didn't like the .50 turret on the top and the bong on the steering wheel?

"Dude, it's semi-automatic and that's just for tobacco!"
steering wheel? amatuers! i hid mine behind the dash, with a hose coming out of the center console. just push the cig lighter in and away you go.

I just looked through A LOT of google and the code book, under safety restraints/seat belts, and i can't find anything that specificaly states that any restraits other than stock are illegal. :dunno:

i hid mine in the backseat with the windows down. too bad he saw it all. Broke 4 of my glass pieces.. there goes $400. that made me quit right there. well not quite

silverslk said:
Back when I had my GTI I ran these. I got pulled over and my 6 year old son was in one and even told the cop "I have my seat belt on" and the cop didn't do anything (didn't even ask if they were DOT approved). Bad luck I guess.

Schroth has DOT approved harness'. I think there is another company but I an't remember who now. Schroth even make one called "autocontrol" which allows you to have a harness with a either locked solid ir retractable belt all in one.

There is the DOT approved harness

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuning/rallye/rallye-4

Here is the auto control

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuning/autocontrol/autocontrol-II

I've got the auto control in mine. They're actually redundant with the factory belts, so I just run factory on the street. :)

GrimmJeeper said:
steering wheel? amatuers! i hid mine behind the dash, with a hose coming out of the center console. just push the cig lighter in and away you go.

Need the write-up on this mod.
plaatje1gal1.jpg

no its. "BEER..... NOW CHEAPER THAN GAS...... DRINK DONT DRIVE..."

the problem is not so much the harnesses but the fact that you are not allowed to remove safety equipment from a registered vehicle, I got to go a few rounds about this when I had my trans-am and ended up loosing because it is in the rule book that you can not modify or remove safety equipment installed by the factory, you can upgrade to a point but then you go through the need for certification etc

Gerr said:
the problem is not so much the harnesses but the fact that you are not allowed to remove safety equipment from a registered vehicle, I got to go a few rounds about this when I had my trans-am and ended up loosing because it is in the rule book that you can not modify or remove safety equipment installed by the factory, you can upgrade to a point but then you go through the need for certification etc
yep. ive been written up for removing my airbag, because i removed safety equipment. i just went to court to fight the ticket and told them 95 was the first year for airbags and it was an option from the factory, and i replaced the steering column with one from a non-airbag XJ when mine failed. total BS of course, i just didnt want to drop the coin on a new airbag...maybe i had a easy judge, but it worked for me :D

I would fight it for sure, why is it any different then when you retro seat belts in a car that never had them, there are no designed mounting points, you just make mounts and they are legal. The judge is not going to know the brand, just print out the pages of some DOT harness and show him.

Back