• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering options (AGR pump, vs redneck hydro assist)

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I just got a new project, and I'm working on the steering right now, Im trying to decide what the best way to go with it is, It's a comanche on 38's, its going to be a trail truck mostly, but sometimes driven on the street.

I'm doing high steer on the front, and need to get the passenger knuckle machined, Is their certain specs for that or just get it milled flat or what? if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

also, a big decision im trying to make is to do either hydro assist on it, or just ordering the heavy duty agr box through quadratec.

Option A: hydro assist, I already have a ram, that could work, but I would need to send the box out, and all that, and ive never done one before so I don't know how to set it up.

Option B: Agr pump, my buddy has one on his wrangler with 33's, and it turns those way too easily, it is a night and day difference between his wrangler and my chero on 33's also. this would also be better because it is super easy, just bolt on the box and go. but I'm worried because 38's are much bigger than 33's. also, I have a chevy pump that I would like to use, would that work with the agr box?

thanks for all the help guys.

CV95XJ said:
here is the agr box Im talking about
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_55.htm
if you guys don't think this will turn 38's alright, then what would be a cheaper way of setting up a hydro assist?
I personally havn't heard much good things about AGR...
Even with that, I don't think you'd be happy without some sort of hydro set if you're turning 38s (side question: what axles?)

For a cheap hydro assist setup, check out this thread:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20532
That should keep you reading for awhile and then do some searching to come up with the specifics. Even if you don't use the exact setup, its got many good ideas and helpful tips in the thread.
You won't have to send the box out to get it ported. It is something you can do yourself, if you can get your rig to where is should be for 38s... my bet is you can port a steering box. ;)

Hope that helps some...

I did a setup similar to the one in the link.

I ran on the stock pump for a while, but it's really not adequate if you're going to wheel it hard. I bought the PSC upgraded TC-pump kit w/external reservoir and it's been fantastic since then. Stock steering box drilled & tapped, 1.5" x 8" ram.

its Gene MJ's old jeep project that I bought from him, The jeep has a 60 rear, and 44 front, 8 lugs, I'm putting alloys in the front to help it out, but I don't wheel to hard anyways, no rocks or nothing, mostly trail riding and mud.

another question, this things got a chevy motor in it, and I was planning on using the chevy pump that came with it, could I use a chevy box too, I saw one in a junkyard that mounted on the inside of the framerail, Im sure I could get it to fit up, but would that box be any better? how about a durango box? this is the only real expensive part I have to worry about, so Im trying to save some money.

That quadratec box looks like the Durango box or the J20 box. I just picked one up for $100 from the junkyard, threw a rebuild kit in it for $20 and bolted it up. I have a c-rok inner brace and an AJ's bumper for the outer. Had to throw 2 hardened washers between the box and the c-rock plate for each bolt.
HUGE improvement in steering power. The box rebuild was so easy, we picked up a second one for my friend and did a quick video on rebuilding it. He should have it up on youtube soon under kevin3151. The durango box has better feel than the J20, but both will work, and both have the larger piston. Tapping it isn't an issue either. I didn't do that because I'm on 33's. I don't wheel it hard, just the smaller trails at JV. :) I'll probably go to the PSC overdrive pulley for the TC pump though, so I have more steering power at idle. It will lift the front of the jeep when it's wedged no problem.

Back