• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd won't disengage 1999 XJ

ATL

NAXJA Forum User
When I go from 2wd to 4wd no problems, but when I go back to 2wd it "sounds" like it is still engaged in 4wd. It is confirmed when I try to make a sharp, slow turn (i.e. parking space) there is some binding going on in the front end. Any help or direction will be appreciated.

Will it disengage if you were to back up, lets say 10 feet or so after putting it back into 2WD?

Have you rotated your tires on a regular basis?

If the diameter of the front and rear tires vary greatly, then it might cause the t-case problems when trying to engage and/or disengage.

x2 on going in reverse it usually does the trick

what also works for me is when you engage or disengage the t-case, take your foot off the go pedal and kinda tap it a couple of times...no need to slam it to the floor, just like i said tap it a couple of times and this helps it go in or out of 4x4 and 2wd easier. You should be able to hear it come out of 4x4 too.

usually when mine gets fussy i either do the reverse trick or, put it in two, put it in 4h and then into 2 again, usually does the trick, try putting it in neutral and rolling a couple feet

this is off topic but 4wd related. i have a 90 with the vacuum lock. can i remove it from the axle with out fluid leaking out. i want to clean it its covered in oil. and the hoses don't stay on.

I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but I had so many coins from the center console that had fallen under the shifter that it was almost impossible to shift back into 2wd...
Between the change and the toll tokens I nearly had enough for the gallon of Herculiner and a 6 pack.

well you problem is better than mine for wheeling atleast:) I have a 1990 and i cant get it to go into 4wd i need to check the vacuum lock but im really lazy;)

Back