• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tired of chasing the steering wheel!

flexdout

NAXJA Forum User
Im at my whits end about this freaking steering! I have adjusted my UCA on my LA to 7* of caster. I have an OTK steering setup(heims not TRE's) and the TB is HD and also mounted above the axle. My steering link and TB angles are exact! I have replaced the lower ball joints in the last 3 months and I did the uppers last weekend. Am I missing something? What the hell else affects bumpsteer. Seriously I work nights and I have been stopped 3 times in the last month for suspected DUI due to the swerving all over the road!

Oh and Im running Bilstien 5150's for shocks. I have a Rusty's steering box brace with the TNT steering box stiffener. The only thing I havent replaced is the steering stabilizer cause its only 4 months old. Other then that everything up front is less then 3 months old suspension included.

I have no personal experience with heims up front, but have read that you need to keep a real close eye on them cause if they loosen up they'll cause some pretty bad wobble.

7* of caster is going to make your steering feel very light, almost squirrelly, I would back it down to 4.5-5, and make sure your toe is right on. Are you getting your readings off a alignment machine?

flexdout said:
Im at my whits end about this freaking steering! I have adjusted my UCA on my LA to 7* of caster. I have an OTK steering setup(heims not TRE's) and the TB is HD and also mounted above the axle. My steering link and TB angles are exact! I have replaced the lower ball joints in the last 3 months and I did the uppers last weekend. Am I missing something? What the hell else affects bumpsteer. Seriously I work nights and I have been stopped 3 times in the last month for suspected DUI due to the swerving all over the road!

In the same boat, I learned to live with it, it kinda sucks though because the gf refuses to drive it on the highway

Too much caster, out of parallel TB and DL and lastly................heims. Front end no-no's. 5* caster, TRE's and correct steering geometry should solve your problem. Here is mine. I have since moved my TR to OTK, I run 37's with no steering stabilizer and can set my cruise at 90mph. It rides like a Cadillac adn I have no bumpsteer. Can you post a close up detailed pic of your steering setup for us to analyze?

parallelsteering.jpg

Last edited:
flexdout said:

Have you checked your steering box itself? Maybe internally it is shot?

Chris @ GATR said:
Too much caster, out of parallel TB and DL and lastly................heims. Front end no-no's. 5* caster, TRE's and correct steering geometry should solve your problem. Here is mine. I have since moved my TR to OTK, I run 37's with no steering stabilizer and can set my cruise at 90mph. It rides like a Cadillac adn I have no bumpsteer. Can you post a close up detailed pic of your steering setup for us to analyze?

parallelsteering.jpg

That D30 looks dwarfed by the 37s lol

Props to you for proving you can run 37s on em (with a real light foot and smart driving I'm sure)

How is your toe adjustment? I think I read somewhere that the XJ is supposed to be toed in about 1 degree. Anyway, the book calls it like this:
Toe IN promotes understeer (front end pushes/skids in corners)
Toe OUT promotes oversteer (rear end kicks out in corners)
Too close to straight up(no toe in/out can make the car "twitchy" or oversensitive to steering inputs.

Also, have you changed your steering box? If so, check the ratio. A friend had a highly modified CJ that was oversensitive/twitchy. They spent a lot of time looking before they figured out that the new steering box had the wrong internals in it.

Pharaoh XJ said:
Also check the steering column specially at the joint.

Off topic : What do you think of the 5150s ? which valving ?

5150s with 255/70 valving are awesome!

Chris @ GATR said:

parallelsteering.jpg

Looks like a frickin' portal axle.

lancey3 said:
Looks like a frickin' portal axle.
Sorry,its just a ARB diff cover!

Had it aligned yesterday found out my tow was in 3*. We reset the caster to 5* and she rides better. I think my steering box is getting sloppy. Since I have braced the shit out of everything the box has become the weak link. I guess its time to go hydro assist.

Heres a front shot (on 37's)

HPIM1527.jpg

Pharaoh XJ said:
Off topic : What do you think of the 5150s ? which valving ?

They are the 255/70 and I freakin love them! They took alot of the slop/play out of the LA suspension setup and the body roll when your driving on the street. And they are really smooth on the trail when your flexing. Before the body would roll really fast and now its nice and smooth. Only downside to the heavy valving is up front you feel alot of the "mistakes" in pavement. But its a fair trade for the ride you get out of them.

Ya we have a spot here locally called "Rancho." Its a housing development that never made it in the early 80's. Its about 2 miles of whoopties! Ive ran thru it at about 35-40 and they do very well. I didnt start to notice any fading till I reached the back end of the property.

Back