• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra Light Switch Panel Location

redkling

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering where others have placed switches for the extra lights (rock lights, overhead, side lights, etc.) on their rigs. I have thought about making a switch panel fit here so I wouldn't hit it accidentally.

dash2panelkz3.jpg

That panel will work for surface mounted switches as long as you don't have the clock (the clock electronics take up the whole panel). I just picked up a dummy plate from the junkyard to replace my clock and plan to install a couple there.

I also found an featureless overhead console in an Astro that does not have anything except lights. No compass or anything. I will get a day-night mirror that has that stuff, and put a couple of switches on the dummy plate there too.

Another option is the Daystar switch panel for Wranglers

Daystar_JK_Wrangler_Lower_Dash_Switch_Panel_KJ71030.jpg

It won't fit anywhere without mod, but with a little bit of dremel work it could probably be made to fit on the lower dash

switches should fit in that area. i have a voltage gauge, oil pressure gauge, and a coolant temperature gauge there. there is ducting for your vents there but my gauges clear so i would imagine that a switch would too. maybe you can mount switches on an overhead counsel?

yeah I dont have the clock its just a dead panel. I'm open to hear where else people have put them though. Im going to look into that JK panel a bit

With a blank panel, I have installed two ARB switches there without any hassle.
Also installed one rocker switch for the electric fan. There is room for one more, also. Just take your time and route the wires and ALWAYS use relays.

redkling said:
I am wondering where others have placed switches for the extra lights (rock lights, overhead, side lights, etc.) on their rigs. I have thought about making a switch panel fit here so I wouldn't hit it accidentally.

dash2panelkz3.jpg

I have 5 switches on that panel with room for at least 6 more. I'm at work and the jeeps at home so I cant snap a photo, but the top small section has 3 toggles (air, front locker, rear locker) and the bottom has 2 (a safetly toggle for electric line locks and override for the secondary fan).

I was planning to put in-cab winch control in the larger middle section, but have decided its too far out of reach of the driver. I'll put winch 'power' there and maybe an "in/out" switch, but an actual "go" switch somewhere near the shifter so I can reach it easy while pinned to the seat.

I have my switch panel in the same location. I have 6 there right now with room for 3-6 more (depending on if i rebuild the mounting surface.) I found that theres not much room behind the panel for abunch of wires so i had to section out some of the dash back there. But over all im happy with the location. Easy to reach and looks good. Ill have to snap a pic later.

swbooking said:
I found that theres not much room behind the panel for abunch of wires so i had to section out some of the dash back there.

I ran 2 strands of cat 5 to it, and to relays under the hood.

Plenty of room that way. :)

haha yeah that would be much better. I didn't and theres a lot of crap back there because of it. Im going to re-do it that way once i throw some rock lights on the rig, but for now, its staying that way :D

yeah cal and swbooking Im think along the lines of what ya'll are saying, Im looking to get 6-8 switches around that area, cant wait for the pics. thanks.

Sorry, took me a while to find some time.

1) ARB air compressor
2) rear locker
3) front locker
4) electronic line locks (front and rear both)
5) auxillery cooling fan

6) power/comfort but also 1/2 control*
7) downshift control*
8) pair of 150 watt front lights
9) pair of 50 watt backup lights in rear bumper

switches1.JPG

switches2.JPG

* I have a "compushift" aw4 shift computer installed on top of the normal TCU. When I'm in the "1-2" position, 'power' will keep me locked in 1 and 'comfort' will keep me locked in 2.
With the 'downshift' switch in the 'up' position, 2 is ALWAYS 2. With 'downshift' in the 'down' position, '2' will downshift to 1 when I punch it, but as soon as I left off the gas shift back to 2 and not jerk me around.

cal said:
I ran 2 strands of cat 5 to it, and to relays under the hood.

Plenty of room that way. :)

Every now and then i see something like this that is so obvious that it's genius. I go around for a couple days afterward feeling like a moron for not having thought it up myself. I have a box of cat 5 scraps that aren't really long enough to be good for anything else, and never though of it for this. this is going to fix a completely unrelated problem.

I hate taking my doors off and on because of the power window harness issues. but now i see that the answer is a handful of relays, an rj45 jack, and one trolling motor connector.

this isn't even the first time cal has made me feel this stupid.

cumorglas said:
Every now and then i see something like this that is so obvious that it's genius. I go around for a couple days afterward feeling like a moron for not having thought it up myself. I have a box of cat 5 scraps that aren't really long enough to be good for anything else, and never though of it for this. this is going to fix a completely unrelated problem.

I hate taking my doors off and on because of the power window harness issues. but now i see that the answer is a handful of relays, an rj45 jack, and one trolling motor connector.

this isn't even the first time cal has made me feel this stupid.

I stole the idea from someone else here. I can't think of who.

I do run one non cat 5 (14 gauge? 16 guage? i forget) source wire to the dash, and then cat 5 from each switch back to the relays.

cal said:
I can't think of who.

Might have been me...

Nice compact package with eight wires, how can you go wrong? Great for putting switch panels in headliners (one of htese days I'll make that box...)

GSequoia said:
Might have been me...

Wasn't you. Was someone who was making overhead boxes with 8+ switches that looked really hot.

cal said:
Wasn't you. Was someone who was making overhead boxes with 8+ switches that looked really hot.

Eight plus what?

That's actually the idea that brought me to using CAT5 - Not much room underneath the A pillar trim to run eight or ten wires, I just haven't implemented it for that purpose quite yet...

Back