• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anit freeze/ coolant bottle??

kccherokees

NAXJA Forum User
Found out I have a leak in the bottle so yea gota replace it!!! How hard is it to do that? I know how to take the bottle off but do I have to drain the fluids or anything?? There is nothin in the bottle bc it all came out so yea dont have to worry about that!!

Thanks
Chris

If there isn't anything in the bottle, just put the strap holding it down, take the lines off and swap them out. Install is the reverse. Juice

Oh ya, add fluid

Agreed. Simple R&R (Remove and Replace).

Do not fill the bottle full. It's an expansion tank. Look down through the cap opening and you'll see a post, with half of it cut away for part of the height. Fill to the lower part of the post when cold.

BTW -- Quadratec's price on the bottle is much better than dealer price.

Moroso?

On a related note:

I was thinking about going with the Moroso bottle, merely because the bottle on my 88cherokee is just about to call it quits, and it seems like the Al bottle would be WAY more reliable.

So is it worth the extra money (50 bucks or so as I recall), and if so:
Is there a bottle for this application, or is it more of a universal deal, I've looked around, but couldnt find a bottle specifically for cherokees with closed systems. Anyone have a part # off hand?

Thanks for the help,
Boz.

I switch to the Moroso Filler neck that splices in the upper radiator hose and got rid of the closed system by doing this. Look on Madxj.com they have a good write up with all the parts you'll need and there numbers. It was really easy and straight forward to do.

Thanks guys changed it today when I got home from school, didnt take but a couple min. Better then goin to the stealership and having them do it for 500 bucks! haha They did offer though I told them I didnt have enough $$ in the bank, they gave me a wierd look like they didnt know what I was talkin about, umm??

Thanks again
Chris

The Moroso tank is not specific to the XJ -- it's a racing surge tank that happens to suit the XJ application very nicely.

Part numbers: Stamped neck #63650, billet (machined) neck #63651. Both use a standard radiator cap.

So Eagle, what's the deal with the tank?

'What's required to make it work with the XJ? Just figuring out which hoses go where, and connecting the hoses to it? no special adapters or such?

The lower inlet/outlet on the Moroso tank is a bung that's tapped for a 1/2" threaded pipe fitting. That one's fine. The upper bung is tapped for a 1/4" threaded pipe fitting. I had to go to a professional plumbing supply shop to find a "street ell" that's 1/4" male pipe thread on one leg and 1/2" female sweat on the other leg.

I made up my own fittings using 1/2" copper tubing. Sweat a short length into each outlet. Then I cut about a 1/8" wide ring off a straight sweat coupling and sweated that onto the end of each fitting to simulate the enlarged end on a factory heater valve or fitting. The outside diameter of copper tube, with the rings soldered onto the ends, works perfectly with 5/8" heater hose.

The factory bottle has a bottom inlet and a side outlet, so does the Moroso tank. It's pretty simple once you have the fittings.

I'll be doing another one, and I was considering having the upper bung redrilled and tapped to 1/2" pipe thread. However, in a recent thread Ed Stevens posted that the factory upper outlet is smaller than the inlet by design, to reduce the flow through the bottle. So I decided it's really better (as in closer to the original design) to leave the small outlet in the upper bung and just seek out the correct street ell to make it work.

Back