• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trunk

mountainpoo

NAXJA Forum User
i some how managed to get my trunk stuck on a tree while offroading and it ripped the whole hatch out. if i was was to get the whole trunk door out of a 97+ xj, would it be a direct fit into a 94?

Its called a hatch. The hatch on a pre 97' is way different than one on a 97'+. The hinges mount to the body differently and the taillight openings are a different shape. Pre 97' has a fiberglass hatch and 97'+ has a steel hatch. The hatch on your 94' attaches directly to the sheetmetal roof of your XJ. If you actually ripped the hatch off, you more than likley did some damage to this area of the vehicle as well.

Somehow managed huh...?

....nominated....

wtf.gif

i ripped the part that locks it to the body. i can still open and close the "Hatch" it just wont lock into place and its so bad i need a new hatch.

JNickel101 said:
Somehow managed huh...?

....nominated....

:roflmao:

mountainpoo said:
if i was was to get the whole trunk door out of a 97+ xj, would it be a direct fit into a 94?
Yes... but the time and effort is not worth it. You're dealing with a different curve/shape of the body.

any 96 and older XJ tailgate (thats what i prefer to call it) will fit. im guessing since its fiber glass, its mangled fairly well? do you have pics. i gotta see this.

no pics but i was going down i tight trail and the the only way through was through two trees. my mirrors cleared but then i heard BOOM and there went my hatch......bad day

mountainpoo said:
no pics but i was going down i tight trail and the the only way through was through two trees. my mirrors cleared but then i heard BOOM and there went my hatch......bad day

Hmmmm.... the XJ is wider at the mirrors than it is at the tail. I'm guessing someone thought they'd already made it.

Back