• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 dr front seats vs 4 dr front seats.

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2dr '87 XJ. In order to climb into the back seat the only way you can fit it to pull the lever under the front of the seat and slide it all the way forward.. which makes it a really tight squeeze even for the skinniest people. The lever on the side of the seat will only bring the seat to an upright postion, it wont allow the seat to fold all the way forward. Is this normal?

On a two door, there should be another lever, about shoulder height, that lets the seat flip forward to the dash/steering wheel...

Robert

I've owned two 2-doors and one 4-door. Both of my 2-doors fold all the way forward when you pull the lever on the top side of the seat. Sounds like somebody swapped seats in yours.

xj92 said:
I've owned two 2-doors and one 4-door. Both of my 2-doors fold all the way forward when you pull the lever on the top side of the seat. Sounds like somebody swapped seats in yours.

Which is entirely possible - my 88 two-door has a four-door driver's seat and a two-door right seat.

I plan on getting rid of the backseat anyhow and making it a two-seater - our kids is growed up, so I don't need to haul them around anymore..

5-90 said:
I plan on getting rid of the backseat anyhow and making it a two-seater...

Yeah, but that rear footwell is an awful handy storage bin, and it's awful hard to get to it without flipping the seat forward...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
Yeah, but that rear footwell is an awful handy storage bin, and it's awful hard to get to it without flipping the seat forward...

Robert

That's the right seat is still the original 2-door part - I had to put in the 4-door seat because I broke the original seat frame (at 265#, I'm not surprised.)

I plan on doing something like the European "cargo mod" (I saw it in an OEM parts catalogue.) The seat halves are replaced with blanking plates, with the vertical plate being longer/taller than the OEM seat bottom.

I use it more to move stuff around anyhow and as a working truck. Anything I keep under the backseat is stuff I don't need very often. Besides, if I get around to building the cargo pullout idea I'm kicking around, I won't be able to access it anymore anyhow (but I won't "lose" the space - since the space replacing it will be more organised in the first place...)

P6190008.jpg

yea i have a 2 door, when i replaced the seats since one's frame broke i found a couple for a good price, they were hte 4 door ones though but i was like what the heck why not... kinddda regret that now haha

5-90 said:
I use it more to move stuff around anyhow and as a working truck. Anything I keep under the backseat is stuff I don't need very often...

I didn't mean under the seat. I meant the footwell, directly behind the front seat.

You can get a backpack (with laptop), daily newspaper, and bag lunch from Wendy's back there. All secure enough that it won't bounce out of the open door, and close enough you can get to it without so much as bending over.

That's the only reason I haven't swapped in a cheap set of fixed-back aftermarket buckets...

Robert

Yea I guess they have been swapped.. I knew they were the same as my 4 dr parts jeep.... just wasn't sure if hte 2 dr should have a differnt style or not.. I think I'll have to find some 2 door seats. it's a pain trying to get into the back seat or put anything back there. I found a "pick-a-part" UPC tag laying under the seat...

stephenspann27 said:
That's definatley not shoulder height, are there two styles I guess?

Maybe that's 97+?

:dunno:

I'll try to find a pic of my '89's mechanism. It's cable actuated...

Robert

That is '95+. The older seats had an ugly slide lever built into the side of the seat. On 95+ you don't need a whole two door seat. Because the only difference between a 2 and a 4 is that mechanism right there. So you just need to swap that onto your 4 door seats and be good to go. Not so lucky on the 94- years. My mistake for missing the year of your XJ in the original post.

91 Jeep Project said:
So you just need to swap that onto your 4 door seats and be good to go...

Cool! Can that bracket be had new? Or only junkyarded?

Robert

Robert 771 said:
I didn't mean under the seat. I meant the footwell, directly behind the front seat.

You can get a backpack (with laptop), daily newspaper, and bag lunch from Wendy's back there. All secure enough that it won't bounce out of the open door, and close enough you can get to it without so much as bending over.

That's the only reason I haven't swapped in a cheap set of fixed-back aftermarket buckets...

Robert

Yah - that's where the amp for my sub lives. It will still have airflow when I do the pullouts, but I'll have a couple of cubbyholes up top for ready access as well (a place to put my bag lunch from Wendy's - which is rather larger, I'm sure...)

I'll probably design a laptop mount as well, and mount it to the tranny tunnel (if I can't find one I like commercially.)

5-90 said:
Yah - that's where the amp for my sub lives. It will still have airflow when I do the pullouts, but I'll have a couple of cubbyholes up top for ready access as well (a place to put my bag lunch from Wendy's - which is rather larger, I'm sure...)

I'll probably design a laptop mount as well, and mount it to the tranny tunnel (if I can't find one I like commercially.)

As long as you stay away from mud or watter, your amp will live, otherwise be ready to have a crispy fried amp after it gets wet... Ive killed a really good kicker that way, and I regret it every day...

Back