• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i do this?

95meangreen

NAXJA Forum User
ok im thinking of trading/selling my tires without my rims. Can i do that myself but airing all the way down then getting a crow bar and prying it off? there radials idont know if thatmakes a difference. or am i going to have to have someone do it. i would hate to pay someone for that! but i need to save the rims and the tires without damaging either. help me out i need to know thanks

air down the tire, set tire in front of jeep, drive jeep onto tire, tire pops the bead, proceed with removing tire from rim, will involve beer and cursing

I tried to remove my 35s from my old rims by cutting the valve stems off, waiting a while, then driving the heaviest vehicle I could find on them (4wd 1-ton chevy). I couldn't break the beads...

We eventually got them off using the bead breaker on a tire mounting machine. But we had to jam boards in it so that it would put the preassure directly on the bead.

Lesson? I know people who will dismount tires for $3 each, so for $15 dollars I can save myself a HUGE amount of frusteration.

The Egyptians built the pyramids...but if they had heavy construction equipment available...it would have gone a LOT easier...have 'em dismounted at a tire shop.

i have dismounted and remounted tires with the use of my high lift jack, a crow bar and 1 large standard screwdriver. the screw driver and crow bar, use your imagination. the high lift i set the foot of the jack on the tire as close to the rim as possible and the lift mechanism under the bumper (or any other available part of a vehicle that your willing to use) and jack up the jack. as the weight of the vehicle is pushed up the jack pushes down on the tire and voila! tire debeads. flip and repeat, then pry off tire using prybar and screw driver. also recommend spending the dollar or two and buying a valve stem removal tool available at all auto parts houses.

man, something about this thread makes me thirsty for beer and really tired, why not see if you can swap some booze to the guy at the local gas station and have him do it for you? can't be all that much to do.

but, if you want to be prepared to swap tires on the trail, proceed with joy!!!

Back