• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stiff Brake Pedal

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
98 4.0 AW4 242 8.25, stock on 31's

the brake pedal feels very stiff, and you have to push hard to stop, pads and shoes look fine, any ideas? also has a pulsating feel when braking, possiblr warped rotors?

X2 on the booster and the rotors.

When I first got my '99 I thought it took a lot of pressure to KEEP the truck stoped (like at a traffic light), but I guess you just get used to it. Every car/truck acts/works differently. But if your having a problem stopping the vehicle during decel. then I would think it is time for some new brakes. I have also heard that you can "crystalize" the pads. Meaning overheating them and kinda making the pad surface "slick". If this happens the pads could look fine but there not. If I am wrong and this is just a myth then someone let me know.

If your getting a pulse it sounds like you need new rotors. ALL of this is just my $.02

There's a large hose coming off your intake manifold that connects to a check valve on the booster.

1. check air tightness
start engine
Stop engine after running for 1-2 minutes
Pump brake pedal several times.

If pedal goes down deep the first time but gradually rises after the 2nd and 3rd times, it's OK. If there is no change in the pedal height when depressed the 2nd and successive times it's defective.

2. Check operation:

With the engine stopped, pump the brake pedal several times with the same
pressure. Ensure that the pedal height does not change.

Start the engine while the brake pedal is depressed. If the pedal goes down slightly at this time, it's OK. If there is no change in pedal height, it is
defective.

3. Check air tightness under load:
With the engine running, depress the brake pedal. Then stop the engine while keeping the brake pedal depressed. Hold the pedal for 30 seconds. If the pedal height does not change, it is in good condition. If the pedal rises, it is defective.

Back