• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One ton tre part numbers

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am running a OTK one ton steering setup on my D44. I have lost the part numbers on the TRE everybody modifies and uses for the mount point for the drag link. It is the one that is about 14" long and has a flat spot where a steering stabilizer connects on a normal vehicle. We then ream that hole from the other side and connect the drag lenk.

I bent mine about 90 degrees on last years OCG run and simply straightend it between a couple of rocks. I figured it might be wise to replace it before any serious wheeling this year.

Does anyone have a write-up on this mod? I built a new drag link and tie rod a while ago using heims, but like this setup more.

It doesnt' look like there is a bend in the drag link or that 14" tre peice, so wont the tie rod hit the track bar bracket, or the sway links?

etaniyani said:
Does anyone have a write-up on this mod? I built a new drag link and tie rod a while ago using heims, but like this setup more.

It doesnt' look like there is a bend in the drag link or that 14" tre peice, so wont the tie rod hit the track bar bracket, or the sway links?

No. it all clears, the drag link goes into the front of the tie rod. The JCR setup uses 1 ton TRE's and a 22.5" DOM drag link, plus a 42" tierod. I'm wanting to say the rods are 1.25 or 1.5" in diameter and are directly threaded. By the time I bought hte DOM, TRE's and had it threaded, it wasn't going to save me much over just buying the setup from JCR. The only issue I had was rubbing on the trackbar bolt, but I replaced that with a shorter bolt and ground a little off the head and it was fine.

I already have the tubes etc, I will just need the tre's so it wont be that expensive. u have some detailed pictures so I can visualize the design? Thanks.

I can take some pictures of my utk setup tomorrow. There's supposedly a stock bushing that you can use in place of the anti rotation poly part that JCR gives you with the kit. Can't find it now, but I've seen pictures and the part number in a thread on the JCR steering.

Here ya go...
tresteeringkit2.jpg

From ballastic....
Y-link kit: 4 7/8"-18 Chevy tie rod ends
(x1 es2033L, x1 es2027L, x2 es2234R)

es2033L is the pass side TRE. If you get it from ballastic fab the hole for the drag link will be reamed. If you get it from a parts store you will have to ream it for the lower drag link end. BTW reaming after a 11/16th drill bit is alot easier than after a 5/8 bit. hth blaise

etaniyani said:
so the tie rod goes knuckle to knuckle? if thats the case, it will hit the track bar bolt, and the sway bar links.

I'm UTK and it just barely touches the track bar bolt at full lock. Plenty of clearance by the swaybar links. If you go OTK, then you have lots of work to do.

etaniyani said:
just for anyone else interested, off that jcr website, each of the joints is around $40, if u buy the kit, its about $30. I found those exact ones at autozone for $20 a peice.

http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,es2026r/shopping/allResults.htm
http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,es2233l/shopping/allResults.htm

I would avoid the Autozone TRE's. We used to use those in our kits and had way to many worn joints being warrantied after only short periods of time. Use the house brand from a non-discount parts store like Napa, or Autovalue.

Back