• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire panel bolts...what are they!?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So my dad and I were working on my Jeep today, just trying to find why a lot of electical stuff isnt working how it should (checking grounds) and replacing lights, when we noticed the ground for the engine was just hanging and there were 3 bolt holes above it with no bolts (1 was threaded, 2 werent). We temperarly bolted the engine ground to another bolt close by, but what is supposed to go there?

Here's a photo of google for an example (disregard the random stuff outside the circle)

P.S. I have an '89 XJ limited if it helps...

87031727kw7.gif

Muddy Beast said:
So my dad and I were working on my Jeep today, just trying to find why a lot of electical stuff isnt working how it should (checking grounds) and replacing lights, when we noticed the ground for the engine was just hanging and there were 3 bolt holes above it with no bolts (1 was threaded, 2 werent). We temperarly bolted the engine ground to another bolt close by, but what is supposed to go there?

Here's a photo of google for an example (disregard the random stuff outside the circle)

P.S. I have an '89 XJ limited if it helps...

I think those retain the vacuum servo for speed control, but I've been wrong before.

Looks like you've added a few things - what are the Anderson and relays for?

I couldnt tell you...that's why I said it's off google, it's not my engine. From some online manual for something.

The only thing in that picture that looks like my Jeep is the location of those 3 bolts.

Thanks though, gives me a place to start looking (in the shop manual).

Muddy Beast said:
I couldnt tell you...that's why I said it's off google, it's not my engine. From some online manual for something.

The only thing in that picture that looks like my Jeep is the location of those 3 bolts.

Thanks though, gives me a place to start looking (in the shop manual).

Ah. Missed that.

That looks about like where the vacuum servo should be (more or less centre of the firewall, above the engine, no?) but there's a tickle in the back of my mind that tells me it may have used sheetmetal screws.

If you get too stuck, hit me again - I've got a 1990FSM floating around, and I may be able to find something that won't be in Chilton's or Haynes.

5-90 said:
Ah. Missed that.

That looks about like where the vacuum servo should be (more or less centre of the firewall, above the engine, no?) but there's a tickle in the back of my mind that tells me it may have used sheetmetal screws.

If you get too stuck, hit me again - I've got a 1990FSM floating around, and I may be able to find something that won't be in Chilton's or Haynes.

Ahh, well I may end up requiring that manual usage of yours if my dad and I don't figure this out in the next few days, and if no one else has any ideas.

Our plan was to go to the junk yard and figure out what's behind it. (well, he would go to the junk yard, you have to be 18 to go to my local one :smsoap: )

MiNi Beast said:
As you can see the one is the ground, the other two are what holds the wiper motor to the backside of the firewall.

Well I understand one is the ground, that's why I temperarily moved the ground, but my wipers still move....just really close, could it maybe be that they motor is just hanging in the back somewhere?

That would explain why the cowl has NO screws in it (we just bought the Jeep) and why the wipers are freaking slow, even at full speed!

Muddy Beast said:
Ahh, well I may end up requiring that manual usage of yours if my dad and I don't figure this out in the next few days, and if no one else has any ideas.

Our plan was to go to the junk yard and figure out what's behind it. (well, he would go to the junk yard, you have to be 18 to go to my local one :smsoap: )

No worries - PM me if you want me to look into it a little deeper. I don't guarantee results, but I'll guarantee effort - just give me a day or so.

Those are definately the bolts!

Thanks guys.
Now I just need to find some replacement bolts. (A long with a long list of broken/missing things)

P.S. I thought I was doing good replacing the Tail gate struts today, but my dad told me the long list of new things we're getting for the Jeep (alternator, seals, hoses, lights, ect.). My Jeep is proof that just because it looks good inside and out, doesnt mean everythings there. (There was a drill bit in one of the engine's sensor hoses because the sensor was missing, to plug the vacuum!) Oh well, good project with the Pop's.

MiNi Beast said:
Well welcome to the jeep club Beast.
:wave:
Thanks, I'm glad I found this place. You guys have been the most helpful forum for anything I've been to! I only wish I could get an official member ship, but you have to be 18.

:soapbox:

Muddy Beast said:
:wave:
Thanks, I'm glad I found this place. You guys have been the most helpful forum for anything I've been to! I only wish I could get an official member ship, but you have to be 18.

:soapbox:
You don't have near as long a wait as I did, I got on here when I was 14, had to wait 4 years. With your screw/bolt/nut problem though...there is a bracket that goes on the inside of the cowl (like what's shown in Mini Beast's picture) that you will need to locate either from a salvage yard or dealership since a bolt runs through the wiper motor onto that bracket. That bracket keeps the wiper motor from vibrating too much also.

Back