• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control and Check Engine?

Hollowpoint

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but did not find and/or possibly didnt look closely enough a topic about this.

I was testing out the Cruise Control (taking a trip soon) and less then a minute into using it the "Check Engine" light came on. Everything seemed fine. I drove a bit more than my amp went into 'protect mode'. My question is really and sounds stupid but am I in any danger to keep driving my XJ and see if it clears itself or has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks So Much!

Seeming as you Amp went into "protect" mode. it might be time to inspect your charging system as the "protect" mode is a measure of protection against low voltage....

In short, get your alternator and battery checked.....

Yeah, a voltmeter would be great. Even the inaccurate dash gauge would be helpful.

Might want to see what the code says too. Pretty sure the only code that's similar that would trip is Low system voltage, but IIRC it doesn't come on until 9volts?

Edit: Voltage could be too high actually, that would have sent the AMP into protect to. I think the ECM actually acts as a voltage regulator on later models too, and can and will set a code for it. And you wouldn't notice the lights getting dimmer either

OK So what you both are saying is that it might be time to work on the electical system? ex New Battery(Yellowtop) and if thats not the problem new alt? Could AutoZone check this out along with the codes? Also would A DMM benefit me in checking myself, if so would I just put the leads on the battery or what?

Thanks for the help

To read voltage all you would need to do is place the Postive lead on the positive Battery terminal, then tje negative lead on the negative terminal, if you meter is set to Volts DC (VDC) then it should read (baseline from all my classes) 13.8V while running without loads, and then around 12.8-13.0 engine off, no loads.

If it higher than say, 16V running (mine runs 14.8 engine running with no loads, 13.8 Loaded), than you have an overcharging issue, if it's under 12.8 Running, than you have an undercharging issue, either one needs attention promptly.....

Back