• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Frustrations!

Gilly

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys new to the site...hope you can help

My darn XJ has 58K on it. ALL the dash gauges periodically drop out with the engine & air bag light popping on. It also then displays "no bus" instead of the digital odometer reading. They all come back and drop out from time to time over the past few years. I did replace the connector behind the panel but that didn't work. Sometimes it does it when it has been sitting in the sun or cold winter. Other times there is no pattern. It will go for months sometimes without doing so.

The other problem is loooong cranking time now. It did throw a fault awhile ago and the cam sensor was replaced with the plugs at a garage. The long cranking time started a few months later. My dealer said it was normal but checked the gas line pressure to rule out a bad fuel pump- normal. He then did a injector cleaning but it didn't help. Sometimes it fires right up like it used to but more than not you have to crank for awhile and it barely fires up. I was pushing the gas pedal which seems to help? however, it usually takes as long as when you don't push it in. I wonder if the crank sensor is also bad but not enough to throw the check engine light- no light or codes stored per dealership scanner? Otherwise, once it starts it runs like it always did- great with plenty of power.

Any help with the above frustrations- to say it mildly- very much appreciated.....gilly

It's an XJ and it's behaving wierd. the first thing you do with any xj even a newish one like yours is check all the grounds. then you run with your digital multimeter and the wiring diagram from your FSM and check continuity in all the circuits involved. most often when you clean all the connections the problem is fixed. I am partial to using some sort of dielectric grease on the connections afterward to help prevent future corrosion. it it doesn't fix it it was still something that needed to be done anyway.

I have been slowly replacing bits of my harness with ancormarine wire and fittings. I am pretty sure my engine compartment sees more saltwater than most boats' engine compartments.

good luck hunting it down.

Well I just did a search on gauges dropping out. Glad to see I am not alone!
I did take the gauges out and replaced the right side push pin black connector as I had heard they back out and cause the problem. A brand new plug which meant cutting out the old and reconnecting with butt connectors. Very little wire to work with and I felt the connectors could lead to more problems. I also figured if I took both black connectors out of the equation and just solder longer wires/ heat shrink tape that would rule out the plugs- have to have enough wire though to be able to pull the gauge set in the future. I also saw the recall post about the ABS module which I will address with my dealer this week first. Mine was also doing it on and off all day yesterday in the rain which another post mentioned. Pain in the butt for sure.

Still interested in ideas about the looong crank time though. I did have the dealer check the fuel pump pressure and they said it was good. The fuel injector cleaning he did didn't work at all. Someone else mentioned the check valve going bad and suggested turning the key forward for 10 seconds or so before I try to start so it could pump up the pressure if the valve was bad. Doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for any help guys and I love the site!

I would have that plug checked again. I bet it has gotten some corosion in it. There is an old thread floting around here on how to do it yourself if you're up to it. The hardest part is getting the headlight switch off to get the trim pannel off.
As far as the hard starting. (Sense you said the fuel pressure isn't bleading off.) The grounds are the best place to start. I would replace the moter to body ground even if it looks good. They tend to get internal corrosion in them that you can't see. Next is take a look at the pluggs. The 4.0ltr's can be picky on the brand of pluggs that are in them.
I would use Champions if at all possable. Although I seem to be having decent luck running Bosh Platnums others say they're not liked by there 4.0ltr.

The NO BUS issue is pretty common on the XJ/TJ of roughly 98 vintage. Apparently the connector for the instrument pod is commonly the culprit. I personally haven't expereinced this as a firsthand problem, but have seen more than a few post about the problem. I would google NO BUS XJ TJ Jeep and see what you can come up with. There might even be a TSB regarding it.

Far as your starting issue, I would still lean towards something with the fuel system. I would cycle the key from run to off a couple of times and then attempt to start. I'm sure somewhere pressure isn't building quick enough or is bleeding down or some other issue.

Back