• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am installing my RE 2 in BB tonight. I was wondering if anyone has driven their XJ on it w/o an alignment. Just want my freshly lifted XJ to make it home tonight its about 7 miles. I will do 30 the whole way home if i have to. BTW i am not unbolting the control arms just the sway bar and trac bar. I am assuming that if i get the trac bar torqued i should be golden. Sorry for the novel.

well i'd reckon that a fair number of people doing a lift do so at their own home, and end up driving to a shop for an alignment. i sure wouldn't recommend busting out 85 on the highway or taking a road trip, but putting around town shouldn't be much of a problem

i drove mine afte rthte 2" lift for about a week before i had it aligned. youll be fine. :yelclap:

I installed my re bb last week on my '00 xj. Without coil compressors, I had to unbolt the lower control arms and trac bar. When I took it in to get aligned they said it was in specifications. It drives straight, but for good measure I think I'm going to take it to a different place because the kid didn't seem too eager to help me.

xjcody said:
I installed my re bb last week on my '00 xj. Without coil compressors, I had to unbolt the lower control arms and trac bar.
thats exactly what i did.

ECKSJAY said:
I never aligned mine after the 2" BB and it didn't seem to care.
your right, but i aligned mine because Ive got really nice tires on my rig and just wanted to be sure.

i installed my BB back in either feburary or march and haven't gotten it aligned yet. i am going to soon though because i just bought new meats and don't want them getting chewed up. it didn't seem to drive any different after putting the lift on so i wouldn't worry about it. just my $.02......

jk333 said:
your right, but i aligned mine because Ive got really nice tires on my rig and just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. :) I put the 30" ATs on mine just before the BB and they wore just fine. :)

thanks guys. I guess i am just being cautious is all. I know that 2 in usually doesn't throw it off too bad but i think i will take it to the alignment shop ASAP. Since its my DD i want it to have a few manners. It can cuss all it wants but it shouldn't run around town pulling down women's dresses and such :D

So.... are the AAL's fun to put on. Any tips for that

FlexdXJ said:
So.... are the AAL's fun to put on. Any tips for that

Yeah, leave the main bolts of the spring in and disassemble the pack while it's on the truck. ;) Use a long, thin screwdriver to keep the holes lined up as you're reassembling. :)

cool how many c-clamps do you think i will need is two ok?

a rachet strap around the drum and hooked onto part of the frame rail that's more forward works well to realign the centering pin in the leaf bucket.

asp387 said:
a rachet strap around the drum and hooked onto part of the frame rail that's more forward works well to realign the centering pin in the leaf bucket.

We always took the driveshafts off ours and centered the diff on a floor jack. Made it real easy to line back up. Put the u-bolts on one side and leave loose to facilitate lining up the other side. A buddy helps. :)

C-clamps...you could use a couple of decent sized ones. :)

I wasn't asking for pics just tips. Got the back done tonight but it was about to rain so we will finish tomorrow. I will then post pics of the before and after

umm... houston we have a problem. The sleeve insde the trackbar bushin is seized to the damn bolt . Any ideas i guess i am gonna take it to a shop to get it torched out or something

Back