• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door handle studs snapped

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Decided to remove all four outer door handles on my 89 xj to some rust repair and rockguarding/painting and to my suprise (well not really),Every stud snapped off when I was trying to loosen the nut. Instead of junking them I wanted to re-use them to save some cash. I ground the studs flat to my suprise they were made of brass , then I centerpunched them and drilled them all out to accept a 5mm tap,tapped them and used 5mmx16 bolts and washers, and loctited them as well. Easy cheap fix done in an evening.

I just used self tapping screws for mine. Problem was, the springs and mechanisms actually broke too so I had to buy 4 new ones. O well.

Last edited:
mattbred said:
I just used self tapping scres for mine. Problem was, the springs and mechanisms actually broke too so I had to buy 4 new ones. O well.

yeah both back doors the push buttons were laying in the bottoms of the doors,weird just the back ones?. I was able to repair them with longer screws. What were new one worth?just curious

bcmaxx said:
yeah both back doors the push buttons were laying in the bottoms of the doors,weird just the back ones?. I was able to repair them with longer screws. What were new one worth?just curious

$15 each at teamcherokee.com. Really not bad.

Hell I woulda replaced them for that price!! well I kinda needed them that night though

bcmaxx said:
Hell I woulda replaced them for that price!! well I kinda needed them that night though

I went door handle-less for about three weeks ;p

The only handle I had on was the passenger front one. It was interesting.

Back