• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 junkyard xj build, now, with pics!

mscans

NAXJA Forum User
well, my other thread was kinda lame without pics and all, so here is this one.
finally broke down and got the digicam working.

stock 4.0/aw4/np242/d35/chrycho8.25/ trxxus mt 33x12.50x15, rockcrawler rims, 3.75 bs.
297k miles

did all the wrenching/sawzalling/welding/grinding and crying myself.

i put the front and rear end in, the front was shot and the rear came with no gear oil when i bought it, plus it was a d35.

well here she is, be kind, she's sensitive.

500 dollars on craigslist,
150 dollar craigslist rough country 4.5 lift with shocks, bnib
free pipes from a friend for bumpers.
everything else is junkyard except the electronic parts to replace all the factory stuff, and waterpump, serpentine belt, stuff like that.

NAXJA
pict0033.jpg

NAXJA

police issue skid plate, 5 dollars at junkyard.
PICT0043.jpg

NAXJA
twin taurus fans, 30 dollars at junky.... edit: also you can see here, i welded a piece of 5x15x1/4" plate to both sides threaded it for bolts, and the bumper brackets (also 1/4") bolt into the plates with class 10 bolts.
PICT0042.jpg

NAXJA
twin blue tops, one from junkyard, started at 5 volts, recovered it to 13 stable, other is from my brother, he had it laying out in the pasture, with a hole in one side, holds 13 volts now too after a little love.

also, PA horn, new water bottle, on board air compressor converted from AC, and if you notice, i got rid of the stupid air vaccum line contraption and replaced it with my stupid brass and vinyl line contraption, it looks alot cleaner i think, and i tapped into the PVC for everything that used to go into the airbox. if you notice my huge copper terminals that are super pro soldered on there, i love working in a sheet metal shop : )
pict0041.jpg

NAXJA
sirius satelite radio, not much to say about this, must have for jeepin'.

pict0038.jpg

naxja

stock radio from a caddiac (took because it has it's own on/off button) cobra CB with PA, retarded huge switchboard to control all the stuff that the water took out the first time i submarined it.

just got the CB, so yeah, those pliers are what is holding it up.
pict0037.jpg

NAXJA

Last edited:
23 gallon ZJ fuel tank, tool box, straps and chain, that blue bag is full of extra parts like u joint, wire, hose, tie wraps, tape, BFE, ect. that box on the right has my screwdrivers, wrenches, torque wrench, air ratchet and i think thats it. air hoses and 2 cable pullers sit inside the rear bumper secured down. the backseat has a 60inch hi-lift extreme, i want to mount this on the inside of the roof.

pict0034.jpg

NAXJA

another shot from the may 10th trail ride, that was in the previous thread.

May10thTrailRide031.jpg

NAXJA

hope this wasn't too huge, anyone with suggestions or see something i could improve, let me know.

plans as of now are 2 inch spacers up front, and redoing the back leafs for a little more height, hack and tap the 242, 1 ton otk steering, and lockers.

JohnnyBoy425 said:
pretty sweet for what it is. I like the pressure gauge on the front bumper :D

lol, yeah, it's a harbor frieght 2 dollars special, it is full of mud, i take it out when i need that spot, otherwise my female fitting under it would also be full of mud and useless.

FRANKENJEEP!!! (no offense)

Looks like it would do well on trails......

I do like the front bumper idea though, it could take beating and just keep on goin'.....

nice . very nice. I am guessing trail only?

FlexdXJ said:
nice . very nice. I am guessing trail only?
nah buddy, daily driver : ) my hyundai santa fe was totalled, and i haven't been finding any extra tons of cash to buy anything else. i want another small car that i can beat around town though. but been about 4 months now with this thing.

it does 75 no problem, tracks straight and everything.
getting like 14mpg, want to regear to 4.86

Last edited:
ehall said:
Okay I'll say it

That is the ugliest damned jeep I have ever seen

But as long as you like it who cares

thanks man, going for that mad max beyond thunderdome look.

i am going to replace the doors and paint it like a cow after all the mechanical and functional upgrades are "done"

Sometimes the ugliest cars make the best DD's.....

My POS Accord and my Prelude were great DD's, they looked liek shiat (okay, the Accord more than the 'lude), but ran great. The Prelude I actually got to finish before I sold it.

The Accord met it's end with the side of an F250.....(I should be dead, but somehow I survived).....

Wow. I can honestly say I've never seen something put together in such a way. In particular the radio.

Edit: How did this pass inspection? I see no turnsignals up front of any kind, the lack of any lines to the EGR valve..

89CherokeePioneer said:
Wow. I can honestly say I've never seen something put together in such a way. In particular the radio.

Edit: How did this pass inspection? I see no turnsignals up front of any kind, the lack of any lines to the EGR valve..

which one is the egr valve? i followed this little map in my haynes manual for all the vaccum lines, i might have missed something? we dont have inspection or emissions here. it doesn't run rich or lean right now according to the new o2 sensor and my DMM

but if i missed some valve, i definately need to get that going. talk to me : )

looked up egr valve, and found a picture, it is connected, it's just under the intake manifold hose that goes to the snorkel, it's connected by the clear hose that goes down under there, this is what you're talkng about right?
looks like a flying saucer with a nipple on the side?

EBC2737G_EGR_Valve.jpg

Back