• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some welding questions:

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
I know this should probably be in Advanced Fabrication, but I cannot post there. I was wandering if I can make a nice front bumper with just a little Lincoln wire welder? Will the welds be strong enough compared to maybe MIG? I took some welding classes in high school and done some welding with my dad on a race car we built (a looooong time ago) so I think with a day or so of practice I can pick back up on it. This question comes up due to the fact that I fell down in a hole that was WAY deeper than I thought 2 days ago and hit the drivers side end panel, pushing it up and popping off the drivers flare.:mad: Now, I do NOT have the money for a aftermarket bumper thats like I want(especially after paying $200 to straigten out my front end), and was thinking of trying to make one. After seeing some of the ones you guys have made. As long as its STRONG and looks like it matches the body lines of the XJ, I will be very happy.

Thanks for any input!

Ok couple of things.

1. You list Lincoln Wire Welder...then you say MIG. A wire welder IS a mig unless you have a tig machine in which case you wouldn't be asking questions as tig usually has stick combined.

2. Since you have a MIG welder, I am guessing you have something like a weldpak 100. And the answer is YES you can weld up a bumper with .25 plate or 2x4 or 2x6 box tubing and plate. You will probably need to do multipass to get it done.

3. if your lost, then you need to read the advanced fab forum more and you will learn quickly :thumb:

Thanks. I was under the impresion that its not a MIG without gas. And I do apologize(sp) for the lack of knowledge on welders. I think I need to do some searching/reading in Advanced Fab now....
Thanks again.

no problem.

A wire fed welder is generally a mig. A mig can be used with argon gas or flux core wire. Even a CO2/Argon mix can be used depending on your needs.

Flux core wire will burn at .035 size and do .25 think plate steel better than .030 wire using argon. However, be prepared for sparks from hell with flux core wire. Should not be attempted In My Opinion without a welding jacket and maybe chaps.

Multi-pass is just a means of welding one line, repeat by welding over that line while the metal is hot to get good penetration.

On a 90 degree angle, I usually do 3 passes...one center, one left and one right of the center weld. My welds don't break after that. And I have a weldpak 100 and 170 at my house. Soon to get a millermatic 252

HMGanja said:
Thanks. I was under the impresion that its not a MIG without gas. And I do apologize(sp) for the lack of knowledge on welders. I think I need to do some searching/reading in Advanced Fab now....
Thanks again.

I think you're technically correct: MIG does not include flux-core wire feed. But most people don't make that distinction.

You know, after making this topic and thinking about that welder and the race car, I remember that it was used to weld the entire roll cage. But it was done by a profesional welder which was a buddy of my dads. We just tacked it together. So, if it was strong enough for that, I think a front bumper will be fine. ;)

Bouncy said:
Multi-pass is just a means of welding one line, repeat by welding over that line while the metal is hot to get good penetration.

On a 90 degree angle, I usually do 3 passes...one center, one left and one right of the center weld. My welds don't break after that. And I have a weldpak 100 and 170 at my house. Soon to get a millermatic 252

This works fine if you're welding with a shield gas (true MIG). If you're using flux core, you need to clean the flux off the weld before the next pass or you may have flux inclusions in your next bead causing problems.

HMGanja said:
I got ya. Like just taking a wire brush to it?

try a slag hammer and a wire brush. or a wire wheel on an angle grinder works wonders as well.

be sure to get all the slag (the crusty part on top of a weld made with either splatter wire or stick) off or you can get slag inclusions in your weld which weaken it greatly.

be sure to practice on some scrap before starting on the bumper, just to get youself aquainted with the machine and how it opperates.

hth
stewie

MIG Welding (GMAW or Gas Metal Arc Welding)
FLUX-CORE = No GAS! Flux is hotter then MIG! Hotter = deeper! Shielding gas cools the weld and you can't get as deep. But you did not ask any good questions, the only thing that matters is the power of the welding rig.

So you wish to build a bumper.
Are you going to put a winch on it?
Are you goint to use it as a tow point?

Will you be upset when you are so stuck and you use it to get you out and it fails and hurts or kills someone?

I would never use a 110 welder to build a bumper that would be used for a tow point or a winch mount, I think it is just not a smart thing to do. If the bumper is just to look cool . . . :D

oldradiostuff said:
This works fine if you're welding with a shield gas (true MIG). If you're using flux core, you need to clean the flux off the weld before the next pass or you may have flux inclusions in your next bead causing problems.

Yeah I forgot to mention cleaning the flux off.

I haven't used flux core wire in about 8-9 years. Went with shield gas and haven't looked back. So I just run my lines and keep going.

BTW I guess since I forgot to mention cleaning the flux off, it should be also mentioned...CLEAN YOUR WELDING AREA VERY WELL. MIG needs to have a very clean surface to get a good weld.

And BTW...Wear a helmet :D

just be realistic about it. I have built something like 4-6 bumpers using a little(100-110) linc in fcaw and if you take you time and get some heat to it and sink that bead in there you should be okay. Just remember that if there is any doubt ask some guys on here or ask a welding buddy to look it over.

slcpunk74 Just remember that if there is any doubt ask some guys on here or ask a welding buddy to look it over.[/quote said:
I agree completely-- once you're done, post up a couple pics for the experts to critique-- if there are any obvious flaws, they'll steer you toward a fix.

You will probably want to keep the gloves and helmet on during your review of the post, however, 'cuz someone will always tell you it's "the worst, ugliest, most dangerous, poorly designed piece of crap on any Jeep ever" Do your best to ignore that and look for the overall consensus of post and fix anything that's necessary.

best of luck-- I'm getting ready to start the same project in a month-or-so!!

considering I only have limited welding knowledge & experience take this with a grain of salt.
but I have recently started using the paste you dip your MIG nozzle into, which helps keep splatter and the mess down when Flux welding. I use a Linc Pak10 (110v) Flux Core and have built my front and rear bumpers with it, also used it to attached the winch plate to the frame tie-ins I made. I welded top and bottom of the 1/4" plate to the frame ties and it is rather strong. also used some angle welded to the bottom so its bolted to the front crossmember too, the winch is going no where and the bumper can still come off on its own which I like.

I have really come to appreciate cleaning the weld area both before you start welding, while your welding, and of course after with the flux core mess you get. But don't just grind down the exact area your going to weld, remove the rust or debris back about an 1" from the weld area, and if your welding thick plate, angle in the edges so they meet like this I\/I which will help penetration. as above, wire brush after each pass, not just to get rid of the chance of inclusions, but so you have a better idea of how that weld looks too for the next pass.

to repeat again, practice, on some scraps or whatever you have around. try and use the same types of metal, and thickness' as you will be using.

Get "Anti-spatter" spray,its for the gun and your material.

No, there will be no whinch.
Yes, it will be used for a tow point.
Yes, I want it to look "cool"
I think I am going to get the Ukraine Train kit, tack it together and get back up with my dads buddy.

Back