• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's lower control arms

XJ runner

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently installed a pair of the fixed length front lower control arms from Rust'y Offroad on my 99' XJ. When I'm in 4x4, like towing somebody, I can hear a slight back and forth popping noisy coming from them. It sounds like where they mount to the unibody and axle. Also, if I get on the brakes in reverse the driver's side makes a noticeable pop. Then, getting on the brakes after driving forward again creates another, this time loud, pop on the driver's side. I can feel it through the floor right under my feet. I was wondering if anybody else uses these and has the same noises. Its like they are moving a slight amount but they are installed correctly, torqued correctly, and brand new, including the bushings. Weird! :eeks1:

Are you sure its the control arms? I thought mine did that but it turned out it was just the steering popping. Either way tighten down the bolts and look for play in the bushings.

-Alex

What are you using for your uppers??

I installed adjustable uppers and lowers. Because of the square thread Rusty's uses on their arms, the uppers popped like that. As soon as I removed them, replacing them with fixed arms, the popping went away.

Also rusty's uses rubber bushing which give a hell of a lot more then other better grade control arms.

I put the rustys fixed uppers and lowers on my 98. With the new control arms lined up correctly, the LCA sits further forward in the bracket then it did before, so now I need some factory spacers that go between the LCA mount and the mounting bracket that has the 2 smaller adjustments. Could be that you have something similar going on, and are hearing the shifting around of the arm there.

I'm using the factory uppers as they were fine. Maybe I should check them again haha. But the lowers are fixed. I decided I really didn't need the adjustable ones. I'm just wondering if maybe somehow the holes that the bolts go through got wider somehow, or the metal sleeve that is through the bushing is a little bigger than the bolts. I didn't stick one through to see if they were the same size I just ASSumed they were..

I bought bushings from Rustys and killed all four lowers in 7 months and not even 5000miles. I made my own arms so that might be why. Looks like I'll be replacing those every six months.
Does popping nosies happen in 2WD? or just 4WD? Parttime /fulltime 4WD?

For what it's worth, the bushings Rusty's uses are the Factory bushings. Maybe an upgraded/better quality version from the parts store?

XJ runner said:
So I recently installed a pair of the fixed length front lower control arms from Rust'y Offroad on my 99' XJ. When I'm in 4x4, like towing somebody, I can hear a slight back and forth popping noisy coming from them. It sounds like where they mount to the unibody and axle. Also, if I get on the brakes in reverse the driver's side makes a noticeable pop. Then, getting on the brakes after driving forward again creates another, this time loud, pop on the driver's side. I can feel it through the floor right under my feet. I was wondering if anybody else uses these and has the same noises. Its like they are moving a slight amount but they are installed correctly, torqued correctly, and brand new, including the bushings. Weird! :eeks1:

Check your track bar just in case. Mine had similar symptoms. Turns out the nut on the track bar, where it mounts to the frame had loosened slightly and allowed some movement there.

I crawled under the jeep and violently shook everything I could get my hands on. The track bar was the onl thing that moved at all, so I checked and the nut was loose. Problem solved.

Well it happens when I'm pulling something in 4WD, as in towing another vehicle in loose material where the wheels are constantly getting/loosing traction. Then just in 2WD when I get on the brakes hard in reverse then getting on them going forward again. I'm pretty sure it is the control arm because the driver's side mounts to the unibody right under the driver's feet and I can feel the slam. I was thinking of upgrading to polyurethane instead of rubber but didn't do it.

Back