• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ laredo and am replacing track bar, I was looking in my haynes manual and it mentions torque to spec. First off what do I need to torque the bolts too?

once I get it on, do I need to adjust the track bar? All it is is a standard trackbar from an auto parts store, no lift or anything. Reason why I ask is I took the XJ into alignment center and they said it had a bad track bar and it would almost $250.00 with the part and labor and I figured its cheaper to do the track bar myself and then pay $53.00 for alignment.

If your mounts are good, and it's built exactly to factory spec you shouldn't need to adjust it : I don't even think you can.

The Haynes should have the torque specs at the front of the section that talks about how to replace the trac bar.

FSM says the axel end is torqued to 74 ft pounds or 100 Nm. The frame end is torqued to 62 ft pounds or 83 Nm.
Hope that is what you needed to know.
Located on page 2-43 of FSM for future reference.

what allignment..... AFAIK you only need to allign when messed with lift, then u get an adjustable one or a new trrack bar mount, you will be fine just throwing a stock one on

I'm getting the front end aligned and this had to be replaced, otherwise it would be a waste of $53.00. The car has been pulling to the right and I had a shop look at it early this morning.

Ok I've ran into a serious problem, at the axle end bolt I started cranking at it and then I heard a squeak and it started squeaking some more and well I think I may have stripped it half way down. My problem now is that I can't get the bolt out. What should I do?

Your bolt probably rusted to the metal sleeve inside the stock trackbar bushing. Mine did, it was a real pain to get out. If you are going to throw away your stock trackbar, you can do what I did and use a cut-off wheel to cut the trackbar off the bushing, then cut the bushing down to the sleeve. I was able to put a pair of vise grips on the sleeve and after heating it up with a propane torch it popped free pretty easily.

Did you get the nut all the way off? The track bar bolt goes into a nut with a "flag" on it - you should be able to see the flag sticking out the bottom of the trackbar mount.

megabyte5689 said:
Ya the flag is already out, not I'm just cranking it and it's just turning and turning and not coming out.

If the flag nut is already out, youshould be able to just pull the bar any bolt out of the axel mount. Maybe it have pressure on it cousing it to bind. Have some one shake the steering wheel back and forth while pulling on the bar and bolt. It should just pop out.

Back