• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGH! Shifter knob rattling!

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 5 speed '98 XJ, and there's is a bolt inside my shifter knob that has started rattling, and it is AWFUL. When I unscrew the knob I can see it, and I can get it to line up with the hole, but when I tilt the knob to screw it back on it just slides out of alignment again. Even when I wiggle the shifter back and forth to check that it's in neutral I can hear it rattle!

I don't have a stick, but I would wrap it a time or two with teflon tape and then re-thread the knob back on to see if that helps take the slop out, thus eliminate the rattle.

Just replace the knob with an aftermarket one.....

Mine from my 87 Mazda (if there was a way to adapt it to fit an AW4 shifter, I sure as shit would):
2275097_41_full.jpg

How many horsepower do those leopard print seats add? :D I dig my stock shifter knob though, I think I'm going to try the RTV trick tomorrow.

The leopard print lasted just the one photo shoot. BTW, they added ZERO to the HP quotient, however, the 32/36 Weber added about 10-15 ponies to an already anemic 85 HP 2.0L 4cyl.

I was diggin my snakes head, but I would have to figure a way to have the detent button........

Back