• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When T-selector is in 1-2 will stay in 1.

tucke

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96' with a AW4. I was pulling a very heavy trailer a couple miles from dads to my house. I had the transmission in 1-2 to keep it from shifting up and was keeping the speed way down. The transmission will shift fine in drive and 3 but in 1-2 it will stay in first. I did some trail riding this weekend and it was nice in 4lo and first to creep down the hill. (had to use the gas to go down a steep hill) Is this something I should worry about and what do you think it could be. I was fine for the first mile. I stopped at an intersection and then it was stuck in first. now it is always stuck in first when in 1-2. cheers

If you shift from Park or Neutral right into the 1-2 position it will stay in first till redline. If you shift it into 1-2 after being in 3 or D it will drive normally only using 1st and 2nd gear

You just discovered why there is a market for aftermarket shift controllers for the AW-4. The factory shift control makes 2nd gear about useless.

Want some fun? Shift from 3 down to 1-2 at about 40mph, and let it coast down. At about 20-25, it'll jump down to 1st with no warning, and throw you up against the seatbelt.

tbburg said:
You just discovered why there is a market for aftermarket shift controllers for the AW-4. The factory shift control makes 2nd gear about useless.

Want some fun? Shift from 3 down to 1-2 at about 40mph, and let it coast down. At about 20-25, it'll jump down to 1st with no warning, and throw you up against the seatbelt.

Yes, it will...live and learn....

hehe the 2-1 downshift at 25mph is fun. especially if your passenger didn't notice you move the shifter. ;) I've also used it a few times for idiot tailgaters. that reminds me, I really need to wire up those reverse lights...

anyhow, yeah.. the 1-2 upshift is rediculous.

Man you guys were all dead on. I put it in 1-2 on my way out of work and it didn't shift untill 4500rpm. I will have to get me a switch / controller. You guy have been a big help. cheers:yelclap:

Back