• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some newbee ?? forgive me I'm new to this

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I’ve been a NAXJA member for years now and until last week never ventured into this forum, I’ve built my jeep towards crawling and got a Pop-up to make camping while wheeling more acceptable to the wife. Well with paragon closing and RC another hour south I find I’m wheeling less and looking to do more camping. I thought I’d put a lift kit on the camper and start getting back farther in for more wilderness camping, without giving up things like comfortable sleeping, space to cook inside when it’s raining, electric (batt.) and speed in set-up and take down. After going through this forum and some of the links here in, I’m starting to re-think this whole idea. I need to get a better idea on how to go about this type of camping.
-Trailer- I think I can build one but I would like it to utilize a battery so I can run things like lights and fans dvd…
I think I would try to build it so I can just unfold or pull out a stove that stays attached.
Able to carry enough stuff over rough roads and two tracks.

-tent- this is the one I’m a little lost on.
I don’t want to sleep on the ground, more to the point my wife won’t sleep on the ground, so I’m thinking cots
Therefore I would need a tent tall enough to allow that.
It has to be quick to set up like unfold snap done, and take down
I think I would also use one of those unfold able screen awnings to actually park the trailer under.

Are any of these things realistic is anyone set up similar to this? Any links tips suggestions are welcome. I’m trying to determine weather I should sell the pop-up or lift it.

Here is a good post on Expedition Portal about a guy who modified his popup for offroad use. It should give you a good idea on what you can do to your popup, if you want to go that route.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13650

ExPo has a lot of good info on offroad camping trailers if you decide to build one as well.

Good luck!

xj_mike said:
Here is a good post on Expedition Portal about a guy who modified his popup for offroad use. It should give you a good idea on what you can do to your popup, if you want to go that route.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13650

ExPo has a lot of good info on offroad camping trailers if you decide to build one as well.

Good luck!

Thanks I've been over there searching, I saw this thread but my pop-up is a lot bigger so this type of mod might be a waste. that's kind of where I'm at trying to determine if it worth moding at all or just sell it while it's still like new and build something from scratch.

Back