• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 2-range t-case swap...

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
no, i didnt search because i am not sure what model t-case that this is. The one i am talking about came in 99-04 gr. cherokees and has only 4wd full-time, and 4wd low lock. if this is indeed the np-242, what else besides the shifter is needed to swap this into an xj cherokee? i just like the fact that it is full time 4wd, and since the front d.s. is always turning, it wouldn't make much difference in the mpg aspect.

The 242 is a much stronger transfercase than the 249, I believe. A lot of grand cherokee owners go from a 249 to a 242. I wouldn't personally buy one.

you would be much better to go with the 242 it has: 2wd, 4wd full time (just like the 4wd in the other tranny), 4wd part time (for offroad use) and 4-LO. and in 2wd you will get greater fuel economy.

Last edited:
Serveck said:
you would be much better to go with the 242 (aka the AW4) it has: 2wd, 4wd full time (just like the 4wd in the other tranny), 4wd part time (for offroad use) and 4-LO. and in 2wd you will get greater fuel economy.

Ummm maybe you should edit that?:wow::scared::doh:

xSUx SGT BAKER said:
Ummm maybe you should edit that?:wow::scared::doh:
it is the transfer case i have.
"This transfer case gives the following operating modes: 2wd, 4wd with the center differential open, 4wd with the center differential locked, neutral, and 4wd low range (center differential locked)"

from this site: http://ezinearticles.com/?Jeep-Select-Trac-NP-242-Transfer-Case-Information&id=281045

i DO get better mileage in 2wd mode, and 4wd (full time) works much better in the slippery snow (slush/ice).
and yes i know i got the AW4 (transmission) and the np242 (transfer case) mixed up, stupid on my part :doh:

Last edited:
moparjim1987 said:
no, i didnt search because i am not sure what model t-case that this is. The one i am talking about came in 99-04 gr. cherokees and has only 4wd full-time, and 4wd low lock. if this is indeed the np-242, what else besides the shifter is needed to swap this into an xj cherokee? i just like the fact that it is full time 4wd, and since the front d.s. is always turning, it wouldn't make much difference in the mpg aspect.

this transfer case can not be the np 242 because the 242 has 2wd. the 249 is probably the t case that you are talking about/

edit: lol glad you noticed that

edit #2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_and_Jeep_transmissions that link has a table about 3/4 of the way down

Last edited:
Not sure what else your going to need to swap...they came with two different front output yokes, one for the crappy cv and one that should bolt up to your 1310 front drive shaft.

Actually the 247 is the case i'm talking about, i saw one today in a wj gr. cherokee and it had the double cardigan joint for the front d.s. so it probably would bolt up to my stock d.s. still contemplating putting one in my truck......

I've got a 247 in my WJ.

It acts like a limited slip in 4hi splitting power between the axles, which gives you more traction than the 242 in full-time 4hi.

If you swap in the 247 make sure to only use Mopar 247 transfer case fluid, as using anything else will cause it to self destruct.

Back