• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle U-joints

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that while turning into a parking space that the steering wheel gently rocks a little, like making a turn with 4wd engaged. Does this mean that the u-joints are binding, and getting ready to go? Only noticed it yesterday. I don't think it's a broken tire belt or anything. On the other two XJs, I've had the u-joints break, and then I replaced them. Maybe this one's giving me a heads-up?

that's exactly what happened to mine. Turned out one ujoint was pretty frozen. Ant the other one was bad too. Both were dry and rusted. Axle joints btw.

The XJs steering angles are far from perfect. When the wheels are cut hard over, 1 front tire will skid because it isn't following the proper arc. Sometimes, the tire will skid, catch, skid, catch. It gives feedback through the steering wheel like you're describing.

If you want to check the U-joints, put the jeep in 4wd(engine running for the disconnect axle) parking brake on. One at a time, jack the front tires, have a friend spin the tire back and forth while you watch the joint. He should use a lot of effort. If you can see any movement in the joint(axle spinning a little doesn't count) the joint needs replaced. Just shaking them won't work.

Back