• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ballast resistor problem

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well this has been kinda a tricky one so maybe someone has some ideas for me.
89 cherokee renix and so on
About a year ago when I was about to rebuild my motor the jeep would die right after I fire it up. THought it was a fuel pump so I did that at same time as motor along with mustang injectors and fuel filter. A month after the motor swap, with no issues, I fired it up and it proceeded to do same thing. Would fire up fine and then die. Troubleshooting led me to think it was bad fuel pump relay swapped in a new one and for a couple miles it was solid then died. Did some searching which let me to the ballast resistor so I just elminated it for a little test and vechicle never died again. So i replaced the factory one with a new 1.1 ohm or whatever that thing is rated for and tested it out. Same thing on fire up. So now I am running without the thing. My fuel pump is a bit noisy like I guess it should be and I havent had any issues since but I dont like leaving a problem unsolved. Any ideas? Also can I run without this resistor or am I doing myself damage?

You can run without the resistor. It wasn't OEM in 1987 (voluntary recall) and added sometime in 1988. My 1987 never had it. I've long since removed it from my 1988. No issues with either fuel pump.

The resistor was added to keep pump noise down. As I've said before - if you want a quiet ride, buy a Caddy! Trucks (particularly Jeeps) aren't supposed to be quiet - they're supposed to let you know they're running! They don't have to sound like Top Fuel dragsters, but a little engine noise/exhaust/functional racket isn't a bad thing, and I find it reassuring...

Yea I don't think running without the ballast will do any damage.I'll be getting rid of mine soon.
While we're on the subject (good question for 5-90)do you know how many amps go into the ballast resistor?Maybe a better way of saying it is how many amps does the fuel pump draw?
Sorry for the Hijack....

Back