• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

code names?

Do you mean the diagnostic codes or the model "codes"?

CJ - "original" box-body Jeep, 1946-1985 (?) Replaced by YJ
YJ - "original" box-budy Jeep, 1986-1995 (?) Replaced w/TJ
TJ - Current production box-body Jeep, 1996/7 - present.
FSJ/SJ - Jeep Wagoneer/Comanche, produced from the 1960's to about 1992. Full-size truck.
XJ - Downsize Cherokee/Wagoneer (that we all know and love.)
MJ - Jeep Comanche Pickup, based upon the XJ.
J-Series - Jeep full-size pickup truck
FC - Jeep "Forward Control" (cabover) utility truck. Produced in the 1960's
ZJ - Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1993-1998 or so
WJ - Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1999-current
KJ - Jeep Liberty. Should have been stillborn.
WK - Planned Jeep Grand Cherokee w/IFS
VJ - Jeepster/Commando, out of production in the 1960's.

I don't know what they're calling the Commander in-house, and I don't care what they call the Compass (it ain't a Jeep...)

Military Jeeps also went through a couple revisions - in order, I think they were MA/MB/M38-ser/M151, eventually replaced by the AM General HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle - a poor choice. The M151 was rather more useful, I think...)

The GPW 1/4-ton miltary utility was, as I recall, Ford-built.

I could probably dig up a timeline as to what was made when, but that would take a little bit...

If you need DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes,) they're on my website (link in sig) under "Tech Section."

5-90

RENIX = 1984-1990XJ, 1986-1990MJ w/AMC 2.46L I4 & 4.0L I6 only. The 2.,8L V6-60 was OBD-I (GM controls,) and the Renault 2.1L TD I4 was pre-OBD.

"RENIX" = "RENault + bendIX" - the control system was spec'd by Renault, and designed and built by Bendix/King under contract.

Make sense? Perhaps you should have just asked about RENIX to begin with...

5-90

You can't - RENIX doesn't store codes.

You can get the RENIX FI manual at the Strokers egroup (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers) - I haven't bothered to post it at my RENIXPower, because it's still avaialble there.

Actually, the only really "French" part is the transmission, if you have the BA-10 (Peugeot) (1987-8/1989 w/4.0 & five-speed.) Bendix ain't a French company - they're American.

However, AMC was partnered with Renault as a result of XJ development (AMC needed a computer that could do FEM modelling for the unibody, and Renault was willing.) The XJ is also why you started seeing "AMC/Jeep/Renault" on dealership signs...

Also, early XJ's (and, I think, some 1986 MJ's) featured a Renault 2.1L Turbo Diesel engine. But, the electronics were made by an American company (even tho in France,) and most of the RENIX sensors and actuators are GM parts. AMC = "All Makes Compatible."

As far as troubleshooting and service, I actually prefer the RENIX system over the ChryCo HO/OBD systems - probably because I came up having to do all my own thinking, and I don't like system that think for me (besides, OBD-I got started by CARB - which makes it flawed to begin with...)

5-90

i like mine to it doesn't have a check engine light that wil light up at the most outragious times making you look at it doing 75 on a highway causing dangers wile driving.

Project - thanks.

jerics4life - I know there was one year (sometime in the mid-1980's or mid-1990's - 1995 comes to mind for some reason?) that the tub-body Jeep wasn't made at all, but that's just something I haven't filed as "important" - I'd have to check my notes, or my Standard Catalogue of Jeep, 1941-2001 that I've got around here somewhere to nail that one down...

5-90

The Wrangler (YJ) was produced from '87-'95, and the TJ was introduced in March '96 as an early '97 model since it was redesigned. So, there was no 1996 Wrangler. I have Standard Catalog of Jeep 1940-2003 and I would recommend it to all.

5-90 said:
FSJ/SJ - Jeep Wagoneer/[strike]Comanche[/strike]Cherokee, produced from the 1960's to about 1992. Full-size truck.
Fixed it for ya' :kissyou:

MA was the original Jeep AFAIK, then MB and
CJ (civilian Jeep)
DJ (dispatch or delivery Jeep) used by post office etc.
VJ (victory Jeep)
SJ (super Jeep) '62 to '92 full size rigs (owned by such notables as JFK, Jackie O and JFK jr),
YJ (yuppie Jeep),
TJ (Toy Jeep)
XJ (eXperimental Jeep or Xtreme Jeep if you prefer)
MJ Comanche (Mule Jeep <G> Or Mighty Jeep? Wouldja believe Man's Jeep?)
ZJ (Zat's a Jeep?)
WJ (Wonder Jeep)
WK (what Krap!)
KJ (Killed Jeep)

To add: M715 which was the Military 1 1/4 ton version of the later Jtrucks. (my '73 J4000 is just one step down from one) and M725 was the ambulance version. Check out http://m715zone.com <G>

5-90 said:
CJ - "original" box-body Jeep, 1946-1985 (?) Replaced by YJ
YJ - "original" box-budy Jeep, 1986-1995 (?) Replaced w/TJ
FSJ/SJ - Jeep Wagoneer/Comanche, produced from the 1960's to about 1992. Full-size truck.
XJ - Downsize Cherokee/Wagoneer (that we all know and love.)
MJ - Jeep Comanche Pickup, based upon the XJ.
J-Series - Jeep full-size pickup truck
FC - Jeep "Forward Control" (cabover) utility truck. Produced in the 1960's
ZJ - Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1993-1998 or so
KJ - Jeep Liberty. Should have been stillborn.
VJ - Jeepster/Commando, out of production in the 1960's.

I don't know what they're calling the Commander in-house, and I don't care what they call the Compass (it ain't a Jeep...)

Military Jeeps also went through a couple revisions - in order, I think they were MA/MB/M38-ser/M151, eventually replaced by the AM General HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle - a poor choice. The M151 was rather more useful, I think...)

The GPW 1/4-ton miltary utility was, as I recall, Ford-built.

I could probably dig up a timeline as to what was made when, but that would take a little bit...

If you need DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes,) they're on my website (link in sig) under "Tech Section."

5-90

5-90 said:

Of course...
The TJ should be listed as "1997-2006"...
The WJ listed as 1999-2005
The WK as 2006-present....

And the TJ's replacement began production last week... thus ending the "Jeep" lineage, I do believe... 'cuz the new Wrangler looks like a tarted-up GEO Tracker.....

Den

Back