• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooler hookup help

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have a photo of how you hookup an external transmission cooler? my trans lines leak at the fittings (rubber hose & metal line). i was going to install one next year, but if it hooks up where the leaks are, i could kill two birds with one stone instead of replacing the lines now and installing the cooler later. BTW i don't own a flare tool.

thanks,
chris

Last edited:
Hate to beat a dead horse but there are numerous very good threads on the topic. Hit the search button up top, select "Advanced search" and enter the key words "transmission +cooler +installation. On the right side highlight "OEM Tech Discussion" and "Mod Tech Discussion"

You'll have all the info you need

i dont have a pic, but ill tell u what i did. i actually cut the metal line just behiind the connection and flared the end of it then just put a rubber hose right over it

Hooking up the cooler is a slam dunk. Any cooler you buy will come with basic instructions.

You can do it to invovle the radiator loop or not.

Inflow to the top, outgo to the bottom, but I don't think it matters. In flow is the front line from the tranny, return is the the rear most line.

I used brass fittings with hose barb end and compression fittings. I eliminated the radiator set-up altogether and added a trans temp gauge in the space where the clock WAS. My stereo has as clock so I didn't need it.

trans001.jpg

...or to keep the radiator cooler (heat exchanger) you can hook it up like so:

double.jpg

Front.jpg

trans003.jpg

Just think of the cooler as an extension of the hose

Last edited:
ParadiseXJ said:
Hooking up the cooler is a slam dunk. Any cooler you buy will come with basic instructions.

You can do it to invovle the radiator loop or not.

Inflow to the top, outgo to the bottom, but I don't think it matters. In flow is the front line from the tranny, return is the the rear most line.

I used brass fittings with hose barb end and compression fittings. I eliminated the radiator set-up altogether and added a trans temp gauge.

trans001.jpg

trans003.jpg

Just think of the cooler as an extension of the hose

thanks! that's EXACTLY what i'm looking for!:clap:
sorry, i'm not a computer guy. heck, i don't even own one. i do have a VCR though.
what are those switches for?

The switch on the left is for my aux (cooling) fan so I can turn it on/off when i want it. It goes on automatically when the A/C or the defrost is on but since I converted to an open cooling system the temp switch is gone.

The switch on the right is for the auxillary lighting (KC's) when I need a little brighter road, or lack thereof, ahead.

Back