• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spider gear play

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Should there be rotational play of the spider gear on the axle shaft?

I'm trying to track down a noisy front end. With one wheel on the ground and one in the air, when I rotate the wheel there is play between the spider gear and the splined end of the axle shaft. The play is on both sides.

Is this normal?

MisterFRjunior said:
You'll have some play between the axle and the side gears since they aren't a press fit. When are you getting the noise and what's it sound like?

In and out of 4wd, rythmic grinding/rubbing/muffled clunking consistent with wheel speed. Visual inspection doesn't reveal any issues with axle u-joints.

Spiders and side gears only come into play in turns so unless the side gears are flopping loose I would think you got wheel bearing or carrier bearing issues. Maybe pinion bearings. But if it's pinion or carrier bearings going bad then you'll probably also have gear whine. Have you tried veering left and right at speed to check for wheel bearings?

Update. Pulled the front drive shaft and noises are gone.
So time for an driveshaft rebuild/new driveshaft.

karstic said:
Update. Pulled the front drive shaft and noises are gone.
So time for an driveshaft rebuild/new driveshaft.

I rebuilt my stock driveshaft twice before I gave up and had a new one made. The slip joint is just too far extended and too worn to really be solid, no matter how good the CV may or may not be.

Tom Woods makes great shafts mail order, JE Reel does exceptional work in Pomona, and of course Ray at OC Driveline does pretty good too.

Back