• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No fire coming out of brand new coil in 90 XJ HELP

Try the Ignition Module they like to fry.
Mine burned out on the way out of Moab last time. Luckily, Checker had 1 in stock. $140 though.

Use an analogue voltmeter.

Key in RUN - you should see 12VDC to the coil terminals.

Cranking - you should see the meter needle waver about.

If you're not getting 12VDC to the coil, it won't saturate. If the voltage doesn't turn off when cranking (on/off/on/off/on/off...) it won't fire. The coil fires because the magnetic field built up while the coil is powered collapses - meaning the power to the coil has to turn off before you can get a spark. That's why the two tests.

I've yet to figure out an effective way to test those ignition modules, but it's on my list of things to do.

doodahman said:
Propane/CNG conversion and older distributer. I wish.
:passgas:

Doesn't change anything - coils for LPG/CNG are the same as for gasoline (unless you've changed them.) I did the industrial mechanic thing for a while, and worked on plenty of LPG/CNG engines...

5-90 said:
Doesn't change anything - coils for LPG/CNG are the same as for gasoline (unless you've changed them.) I did the industrial mechanic thing for a while, and worked on plenty of LPG/CNG engines...

Yeah but he wouldnt need the ignition module. Just use a mallory unilite like the one I have for when I convert over.

The guy that owned it before I did (Ironman Jeep parts in Pumpkin town, SC) said that it was the Crankshaft Sensor that needed to be replaced.
I sent my dad on a run to Advance to grab one for me.
Now the only problem is getting under there to replace it. ;)

I'll keep you posted!

I replaced the ckp sensor and it started right up!
I was such a pain. I had grease up past my elbows. I was pretty much black on my arms.

I also have a problem with the engine racing when I start it.
It'll start and then race up to 3500 rpms. Any suggestions?

Vacuum leak from a bad hose (just a mile of hoses under there,) EGR, manifold bolts, TB bolts, etc.

Rattley old Jeeps need checking and torquing on regular basis.

Back