• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alcan Leaf Spring First Impressions

MontanaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed some 5"(stock plus 200 lbs) leaf springs with rubber bushings that I ordered direct from Alcan. They are replacing some RE 4.5" that didn't give the height or flex that I wanted. One quirk is that I think the torque leaf eye makes some contact with the unibody, causing some noises that weren't there before. Tom from Alcan said that I can cut the full wrap down to about 1/4 wrap to solve this. Anybody have experience with this issue? All of the below pics where taken the day of the install.

Before - Sporting the Low Rider look:
740330_281_full.jpg

After - Now its a dragster. Taking a measurment from the rear quarter panel, the new springs raised it up nearly 3". Hopefully it will settle some:
740330_282_full.jpg

Flex Testing:
740330_283_full.jpg

740330_284_full.jpg

740330_285_full.jpg

740330_286_full.jpg

740330_287_full.jpg

Looking at the driver side pictures you can see that I am stuffing it hard into the rear of the fender opening, and that I have about a 1.5" gap to the front of the fender. At this point I have not fully compressed my bumpstop because the fender is limiting the uptravel. If you look at the passenger side you can see that the axle is steering, and is a contributing factor to the rub on the other side.

What to do about it? I have M.O.R.E. perches so I can move the axle forward 1 inch. Moving on the perch kind of defeats the purpose of having an anti-wrap perch, but it seems everything in life is a compromise.

Greg M.

MontanaXJ said:
One quirk is that I think the torque leaf eye makes some contact with the unibody, causing some noises that weren't there before. Tom from Alcan said that I can cut the full wrap down to about 1/4 wrap to solve this. Anybody have experience with this issue?

I've just learned to live with it, I don't even really hear it anymore.

the Full traction leafs I bought (My actually be from alcan) did the same thing. I called an called FT and of course they SUCK at customer service (two brothers that because OVERLY arogaunt and asholish) and just never returned my calls. SO I cut about .5" back on the wrap. I had to though, as it wouldnt even fit in to the mount it hit the unibody floor before the hole lined up.

I would be worried that it would cut the sheet metal in a very stressful area there.

Alcans IMHO are one of the best springs out there if nto the best. I have had them on for a year or mroe now and never noticed any noises. But then again it's an 84 and makes noises anyway!

muddshutter said:
I also have the Alcans with a 1.5-2.5 boomerage shackle and they are GREAT. Did you use the supplied grease to lube up all your parts?
Grease? What Grease? Mine have the regular leaf spring bussings. Are you tlaking about the new ball type joint they are offering?

I recently got a set of leaves from them (4 inches with 300LBS of cargo, rubber bushing upgrade) I havent notices any issue with noise or rubbing?

Im also very happy with these leaves, cant recomend them enough

Montana, is that just spring flex? OR did you purchase the Orbit Eye deal?

Also do you by any chance have an RE flex shot at that same location?

About how much lift did you actually get or how close are they the 5" mark?

uncc civilengineer said:

Please tell us cause we all want more flex/movement from our leaf springs and are looking for a way to get it.:dunno:

muddshutter said:
If you want more flex and a better spring, GO ALCAN.

Or Deaver, or any Quality american made high leaf count pack. And for more avail articulation the new orbital eye bushing replacements that Deaver, Alcan, or tera offers, will help.

muddshutter said:
I also have the Alcans with a 1.5-2.5 boomerage shackle and they are GREAT. Did you use the supplied grease to lube up all your parts?

I have the rubber bushings so no need for any grease.

Jason-RJR said:
Where did you buy the leafs?

I got them directly from Alcan.

uncc civilengineer said:

The springs have the rubber bushing upgrade which give you better flex over the poly bushings. When I ordered them I told Alcan I wanted them to flex. I don't have a RE pic to directly compare to the Alcans. After putting them on, the back of the Jeep was nearly 3" taller. I figured I was in the 6" - 6.5" range with the RE 4.5's. They were way taller than I wanted. When a carried another 150lbs in the back for a month they were better. And now that I won't be carrying nearly as much weight in the back they will be way too tall.

Greg

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
the Full traction leafs I bought (My actually be from alcan) did the same thing. I called an called FT and of course they SUCK at customer service (two brothers that because OVERLY arogaunt and asholish) and just never returned my calls.

Same here on both counts.

muddshutter said:
I had two for the rear of my MJ and they were $225 for both shipped direct from Alcan. Everyone paid WAY TOO much.

I call :bs:

Wait unless it was a add a leaf...

Alcan Will NOT build even one leaf for that, well maybe back in the 70's?

Back