• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 vs NP242

231 is slightly stronger. 231 has way more aftermarket upgrades. 242 is better in snow on highway. Search around. This topic is has been beaten to death.

tbburg said:
231 is slightly stronger. 231 has way more aftermarket upgrades. 242 is better in snow on highway. Search around. This topic is has been beaten to death.

Actually isn't the 242 a stronger design? It's more complex, but I believe it is slightly stronger. You're right about the aftermarket though.

242 has variations that are stronger(hummer, durango), but a stock Cherokee 231 handles more than a stock Cherokee 242. That being said, I love my 242.
This is the Ford vs Chevy question. Search and you will find more than you wanted to know.

Maybe someone could explain this: Aside from aftermarket, if you had the choice, why would you pick the Command trac over Select? Select still has the option of part-time-plus it allows full-time.

Reference:
Command trac=231
Sel=242

I have 242, and I really like it for the fact of full time 4wd. Thats about the only driveable difference...period. Here in PA, we get pretty half ass winters anymore and its nice to just drive home in full time when its been snowing/sleeting etc, and not have to worry about pulling it in and out of 4wd like you would with 231. Thats about my only reason why I would choose one over the other. I dont think I would go through the hassle to swap on TC over the other unless something was broken!

Back