• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Engine Oil Pressure

4LowandGo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ with a 4.0 and auto tranny. The 4.0 has around 226,000 miles on it and it still runs really strong. I have noticed that the oil pressure runs anywhere from 40 to 80+ while warm, and if I'm on the trail it usually stays towards the high end. The engine sounds a little like a diesel engine sometimes when the pressure is way up there too.

Is this normal? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

What kind of oil and oil filter are you using? Did you change it recently?

I changed it about 700 miles ago. I'm using Castrol 10w30 and a Purolator oil filter. It was their premium filter at the parts store, but I will say I've never used that filter before. I'm guessing my first option will be to switch to a different brand filter and change the oil. Any other comments are welcome though.

Thanks!

Oh yeah... The oil level is good on the dipstick too...

I just picked up a 90XJ last week. I've actually got the same thing going on.
May want to check your air filter too... I'm getting oil through the breather when it gets up there

runs like a champ otherwise, I'm due for an oil change now, it's running 5w30 now.

Well, I first say, can you get a mechanical gauge and verify the pressure? Could be just a whacky sending unit. If not, let it sit overnight and then change the filter to a different brand. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the brand you bought but who knows about the specific filter.

The tubes are different on a 92 v 90. The 90 (and other Renix years like my 88) have a CCV system with a small metered orifice in the tube in the rear of the valve cover. This can get clogged and allow oil to flow into the air box fromthe front tube.

Saudade said:
Well, I first say, can you get a mechanical gauge and verify the pressure? Could be just a whacky sending unit. If not, let it sit overnight and then change the filter to a different brand. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the brand you bought but who knows about the specific filter.

The tubes are different on a 92 v 90. The 90 (and other Renix years like my 88) have a CCV system with a small metered orifice in the tube in the rear of the valve cover. This can get clogged and allow oil to flow into the air box fromthe front tube.

I'll try the oil and filter first, and then I'll move to the sending unit and so on.

Back