• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 2 1/2 yr old nephew was killed

Lady XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hit and Run, all because 3 idiots decided to drink in the middle of the afternoon and fight over the steering wheel of a Dodge Ram crew cab! 50 Children witnessed this accident, how horrible! Seeing the pieces of what remains of my brothers broken heart is almost more than I can bear! PLEASE pray for my family as my brother and his family try to find a new "normal"!

Article in Ventura County Star (one of 4)

Child killed in hit-and-run accident on sidewalk

By John Scheibe
Originally published 05:46 p.m., May 14, 2008
Updated 06:17 p.m., May 14, 2008

A 2-year-old boy was killed today near a Santa Paula school when a pickup truck jumped a sidewalk and crashed into the small red wagon he was riding in, then sped away, police said.

The boy, who was identified as Charles Goodrich by the Ventura County Medical Examiner's Office, was pronounced dead at Santa Paula Hospital shortly after he was struck by the pickup.

The boy's mother was carrying a smaller child and pulling the wagon along a sidewalk on the northeast side of Glen City School, according to the Santa Paula Police Department. At 2:12 p.m., witnesses saw a silver Dodge Ram pickup truck jump the sidewalk at West Main Street near Steckel Drive, striking the wagon, police said.

Police do not know why the truck went up on the sidewalk. Witnesses at the school, including teachers, told police they heard tires screeching before the crash.

His mother and the other child did not appear to be injured..

Police said the truck sped away, heading east on Main Street. A silver truck was found a short time later in front of a residence on Hobbs Circle, police said.

Police Sgt. Joey De Los Reyes said the truck had damage consistent with the crash. Police have taken someone into custody but said they were not sure if the person was driving the truck.

Glen City students, except for those in an after-school program, had gone home before the crash. Principal Rick Cadman said he called 911 when a custodian radioed to say a child was seriously hurt.

After making the call, Cadman ran outside and tried to resuscitate the boy until the fire department arrived minutes later, he said.

West Main Street remained closed this afternoon as authorities continued to investigate the crash.

Staff writer Cheri Carlson contributed to this report.

Photos in the star
http://gallery.venturacountystar.com/slideShows_view_dyn.cfm?slideShowID=560

All articles
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=380978279
Charles' Aunt
myspace.com/CharlesGoodrich

I don't even know how to deal with this. I don't know how to make my brother feel better! He just lost his ONLY son!

Please pray/think or whatever it is you do, for my brother and his family! Thank you!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, my prayers are with you and your family. I am very sorry for your loss.

My familys' prayers are with you and your family. I pray that the guilty folks are caught and charged to the full extent of the law.

Can someone help me post a photo of him? I cannot even think straight, but it would mean a lot to me!

Thank you guys!!!!!

sorry, so sorry, prayers to you and the family

Word’s from Charles’ Mommy

I am Charles' mother. I wanted to post on here to say a few things. First, to thank everyone for their sympathy, their thoughts and prayers. The way that this entire community has risen up to help us and console us has been amazing and uplifting.

Second, to those who are full of anger: it changes nothing to be angry. Your anger only hurts you. You say that you would not wish my pain on your worst enemy, but then you wish a life of torment on these men. When people think of Charles, I want them to think of the love we had for him. I don't want them to be torn up with anger and hate when they think of my beautiful boy.

Love is the only thing with any power to change anything. My love for Charles has changed my life, and I am glad to have had it, for however short a time - I would not exchange it for freedom from this pain. Let your sorrow for him and for us change you for the good."

And my words:
Yesterday

Yesterday I said my final goodbye's to Charlie, it was so much harder than I thought it would be! I hated seeing them lower Charlie's little body into the ground! But when I stopped myself I realized that it was NOT Charlie that put in the hole, it was a borrowed shell that held his spirit. It not only made watching bearable, it was the truth.

Charles is home with Jesus! He was greeted by those that have gone before us.....

I posted this today on the VenturaCountyStar:

Thank you so much for all of you that attended and the continuing support of my brother and his family! Please continue to pray for them as they try to find a new "normal". I praise God we had Charles', it was a blessing every second he was with us! I thank God for bringing a community and family together through the tragic events that brought us here.

Please NEVER FORGET! Keep Charles alive in how you treat others, be a little kinder to all those that come into your lives. Wave and smile at someone you don't know. Pray for those that upset or hurt you, ask God to bless them and their lives! Let this time be a lesson to us all of how to come together as a community and support one another, offer to get groceries for the elderly person in your neighborhood, mow the lawn of a disabled neighbor, love those who are angry and full of sadness.

I know so many people are grieving over the loss of my nephew, I ask that you give his death purpose! His life was short, but he had a wonderful, full life. His life was full of love and happiness! I ask that you continue to spread the happiness that showed every time he smiled. Slow down and hug your kids more, laugh with your family, take the time to tell those around you that you appreciate them! We never know how long God has us here for, use the time we have in this fast paced World and make something with it. Don't just wait until another tragedy, LOVE ONE ANOTHER NOW!!!!!!!!! :) May the love and peace of God be with you now and always! God Bless you and your families!!!!

Charles' Auntie
myspace.com/CharlesGoodrich

Im so sorry for your families loss. Being a parent I couldnt imagine the pain. You will be in our prayers

Jordan, Im really sorry to hear this. Let me know if theres anything we can do over here. Our prayers are headed out to you and your family.

Rest in peace Charles...

I can't begin to imagine the feelings the parents must be going through. I have 3 chilidren myself and I don't know what I'd do if one of them were to get hurt or killed.

Prayers go out to the family.

Glen and Kathleen,

My heart filled with sadness and sorrow as I read this thread. My thoughts, feelings and empathy go out to you.

Some say that we are here on this Earth to learn. Some say that we are here to learn to love. As you said,
Love is the only thing with any power to change anything. My love for Charles has changed my life, and I am glad to have had it, for however short a time - I would not exchange it for freedom from this pain. Let your sorrow for him and for us change you for the good.

Love is the answer.

Elias

This is terrible. I give Charlie's mommy credit for rising above. My heart and prayers go out to you. God Bless his soul.

Very sorry to hear Jordan. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Kyung

Very very sad news to hear, my thoughts and prayers are sent out to you and your family...JT

Back