• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Stock XJ

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am new to the Jeep family having bought my first Cherokee Sport a 2000 only about 2 months ago. Since buying it I have noticed that hitting a bump at speed (60 - 70mph) sometimes results in a shaking of the front end, I chalked this up to it being a used vehicle and didnt think much of it until two days ago on my way to work when I hit a bump on the freeway and it shook so violently I thought the wheels would fall off it did this for what probably was a full minute. Now Im scared to death driving it, until I can fix this problem, any suggestions to whats causing this would be appreciated.

had the same thing happend and the steering box bolts were really loose. as in theye were about to come undone. the steering box had a bout 4 inches of play between it and the frame. i would check that first.

I see this all the time at my shop, check all your steering components such as; Drag link, tie rod, track bar. The track bar 9 times out of ten is the problem. Check the bushing at the axel and the rod end at the frame/uni-body. I've had to replace track bars on low lift or stock jeeps before do to the fact that the upper rod end is not replaceable. After market track bars are nice because most on the market today use stock jeep parts that can be replaced at any parts house when they wear out.

as already posted check all the joints...

track bar (likely culprit), all tie rod ends, ball joints (check for up and down movement while the jeep is weight off wheels), and hubs (also general movement when weight off wheels), steering box, steering box attachment at the frame. Basically any joint or component is possiblity, however, there are some likely suspects. Also, check general condition of control arm bushings and your tires (balance?) (recently rotated tires?) Last time the jeep had an alignment?

to check a lot of the parts, with the jeep running, have someone saw the wheel back and forth. You should be under the front end, everything, and I mean everything, should move as one. If one joint, tie rod end, or (insert your favorite word for a part) wiggles or lags in movement-start there.

To check the ball joint, jack up your axle, get a board (3-4 feet or so) and jam it under the wheel and pry UP on the wheel. If there's any upward movement of the ball joints, it's time for new ones. Use touch to detect subtle movement in all joints (not just ball joints)

First verify your tie rod ends and ball joints are in good shape, and that your steering box is secure. Then replace the track bar, followed by the control arm bushings. For the lower control arm bushings, buy the new arms with the bushings already installed and do a swap-out. It won't be too difficult. For the uppers, take it to the dealer and pay the $300 or so, unless you want to drop the front axle and beat the old bushings out with a hammer.

Along the way, replace the shocks, balance and/or replace the tires, etc. When you're done you'll have a nice vehicle that will go another 100K miles before you need to do this again.

Mark

:cheers:

thanks to everybody for all your help with this issue, Ill be looking at it first thing in the morning. Oh and to Georgia Mike its a white one.

Back