• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating 89 Cherokee

rebelcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee I have replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, and pressure bottle and cap. LOOKING FOR ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE!!!!:huh:

Did you purge the system to get any air out?

Proper RENIX cooling system bleed procedure:

Fill system with coolant mix up to top of post in bottle, leave the cap off and start the vehicle. Place heater on FULL HOT with fan on low speed.

Refill bottle as necessary while vehicle is running. Continue to add coolant to bottle as needed until vehicle is at normal operating temperature.
This can be varified as the upper radiator hose being hot to the touch.

Shut down vehicle, wait until engine is cool, then add coolant as neccesary to bring level to top of post. Replace cap.

You did this right??

Also, be sure your thermostat is facing the right way. Copper plug towards engine. I know it seems like a stupid suggestion, but backwards installation happens quite often.....

^^^^^
Above procedure is best with the vehicle nose pointing down, ie if possible park on a slight hill. Even better method is loosening the Instrument clusters temp sending unit at the right rear of the cylinder head and bleeding through there. I've heard of those breaking-mine didnt-but I did spray it with PB blaster a day before I tried.

I admit, nose up is best with that procedure, but it will work on flat ground too, you just need a little patience.

ANd yes pulling the temp sender out is MUCH faster. I bleed our Vans cooling system that way.....

poorboy_616 said:
I admit, nose up is best with that procedure, but it will work on flat ground too, you just need a little patience.

ANd yes pulling the temp sender out is MUCH faster. I bleed our Vans cooling system that way.....

You did mean with the nose down and tail up didn't you??? That is the proper Renix procedure.
Blue;)

Eek, don't leave the cap off when you shut down the Jeep.

I did this and my bottle overflowed coolant all over. It was fine when running, but as soon as I shut it down with the cap off, it just erupted.

mattbred said:

I did this and my bottle overflowed coolant all over. It was fine when running, but as soon as I shut it down with the cap off, it just erupted.

You have lost me.:confused1 I'm talking about the Renix burping procedure, :star: What are you refering to???:dunno:

rebelcherokee said:
I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee I have replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, and pressure bottle and cap. LOOKING FOR ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE!!!!:huh:

When is it overheating (in traffic, highway speeds, offtoad, etc)? Have you replaced the fan clutch or shroud? How old is your radiator? Do you have good heat in the winter? Proper 50/50 mix? What temp thermostat does it have? Why did you replace the thermostat housing?

Give as much info as you can.

90Blue_XJ said:
You did mean with the nose down and tail up didn't you??? That is the proper Renix procedure.
Blue;)

Sorry, yeah ass over tea kettle to bleed properly.....

mattbred said:

Mine didn't overflow with the cap off when I shut it down....

Mine overflowed while it was running.....Of course my dumb ass overfilled it.......

it would over heat just going down the road, I replaced the temp sensor housing because it was broke when i got the jeep. but i got the overheating problem fixed i just put an electric fan on it now it don't get over 190 thanks for all thehelp

Back