• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer says 'no bus'

Nomercy

NAXJA Forum User
so i started up my '01 cherokee 5 speed today and non of the gauges worked and the CEL and air bag light were on. also the odometer said 'no bus' i turned the motor off and then back on and everything was fine. what does all this mean? can anyone help me?

Try unplugging and then re-plugging the plugs in the back of the instrument cluster. Also check that ground cable on the firewall (under the hood) near the driver's side windshield wiper arm for corrosion and/or looseness.

Good luck!! :cheers:

ehh ill check the ground it seems fine now so ill forgo trearing apart the das right now...that would really suck..

what does the 'no bus' mean?

your not driving a BUS

Nomercy said:
ehh ill check the ground it seems fine now so ill forgo trearing apart the das right now...that would really suck..

what does the 'no bus' mean?

It's really not that hard to do.

"No bus" just means no data.

Good luck!! :cheers:

replace the connector to the cluster on the right side. that is the problem when that happens. make sure you solder the wires. any good dealership will have the connector in stock.

The "bus" is what the input output signals to and from the computer run on. It is the main electrical highway for your XJ engine managment system. When something (anything) along that bus is interrupted, it could give you that message. I agree with jneary that with your symptoms, the problem is most likely connector related.

When a nobus occurs and your vehicle does NOT start, it is oftentimes the power supply shorting at the computer because of a shorted out 5 volt sensor, usually (but not always) the crankshaft position sensor.

in this case the jeep does run, the cluster isnt communicating with the pcm or the air bag controller. thats why the gauges dont work. the cluster knows the jeep has air bags and cant communicate with the air bag controller, so it turns that light on.

I have had that happen a few times before on my '00 XJ when its warm out, Simply shutting the vehicle off and turning it back on fixes it or just letting it run for a minute or so and the gauges will start to function properly again. I have not figured out what causes it exactly and I have check all the fuses and relays in my XJ and all are fine. So it maybe just a ground but I am not ambisious enough to tear the dash apart yet for such a small problem.

Woodsman said:
no bu5 or no bus & no start 2001 cherokee
I just fixed this and I thought I would share what I did.

There are various posts on this.

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee classic.

With no warning, went to start it up and the power on everything came on but the odom did no register anything all stayed at 0 and the engine would not crank. Waited an minute and the check engine light came on and no bu5 or no bus showed up where the mileage does.

On the drivers side on the transmission housing there are 2 black snap connect harnesses one of these is the crankshaft position sensor (check to autozone website for what this looks like , find it and follow it down to the snap connect). Unhook it, then turn the key again and see if your gauges come on, mine did after I disconnected it.

The cps is located near the top of the transmission bell housing set to the drivers side slightly and is difficult to get to but the intermost to the center on vehicle can be reached with a box head wrench (angle box head might've helped) and the outer lower can be accesed from below with an 11 mm rachet with at least a six inch extension or more. Only 2 bolts hold it in place. Took me about an hour to replace due to the difficult access to the part and my limited tools. After I replaced it the check engine light stayed on for my quick test ride down the road, turned it off and on a few times and it reset i guess and has not come back on.

The part will run you from $75 to $85, most will not have it in stock but can get it quickly or if you know where the distribution house is go there they should have it.

No sure it right for you.

bleh this happened on my 99 - geta CPS b/c it will leave u stranded if you do not have an extra one... it is about 70 bux for a dang magnet but a bad cps ruined a good day of wheeling for me once...

Ba-Riedo said:
Just smack the top of your dash till it goes away.:D

-Alex
Thats the way I've taken care of it too. If it keeps happening take apart the dash and get the cluster out clean the connections on the back and you should be good to go. Worked for me

Back