• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leveling ride height with OME lift

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've built an "expedition XJ" for extended backcountry travel with a 3" OME HD leafs and springs and 3 oem coil isolators. With two isolators unloaded I was an inch high in back and I was getting bad deceleration vibes and a little bit of driveline clunking. With 3 isolators unloaded. I was perfectly level with just the teensiest bit of deceleration vibes. Now, loaded up with a roof tent and camping and recovery gear (pull pal & hil-ift) in the back, I'm sitting about 1 1/2"-2" lower in back. It looks a little silly, but the driveline is quiter than ever. Should I bother with removing a spring isolator or investing in an airbag system? That JCOS leveler thingy makes sense now.

Now that I think of it, my 3" lift has become a one inch lift after adding about 300 lbs of gear. Does that sound right for a supposedly HD suspension system?

No, I carry about 250lbs plus two passengers and I lose a little over an inch, hell even with three its no more than 1-1/2 inch of sag, you sure you got hd leafs?? Sounds like you are in need of a sye and driveshaft to fix the angles from the lift, other alternative is a t/case drop (short term fix). I experienced the same vibes you are describing and it improved while loaded

I've had similar situation with the OME lift on an 89. I did not have the HD lift and lost about 1.5" when loaded up with 2 adults, 4 kids and camping gear (third seat for 6 people). I added the OME AAL and it worked great.

Assuming you have a later model which tends to see vibes sooner than the early models and stoke drive line...

First make sure the angles of the joints in the drive line are equal. If you have already done that then you have exceeded the angles for you jeep. As stated above the fixes could be SYE or t-case drop. When you check the drive line angles do it fully loaded and unloaded just to be sure the are good for both situations.

For a short term fix I used 3/4" square tube to make a t-case drop.

The drive line clunking under deceleration was most likely due to exceeding the working angle of the slip yoke, thus binding the joint. It happened when I was between 3.5 & 4" of lift. The only time I felt vibes and heard the clucking was braking and the rear lifted increasing the front joint angle. Even at the lower lift you could flex enough to bind the joint. To check it, jack up the rear letting the axle droop. Once the rear wheel are both off the ground, turn the rive line and watch for binding or any contact in front joint.

As I did not have 'noticeable' vibes so I swapped in a YJ slip yoke that has a great operating angle.

Thanks for the replies. I unloaded it and it went back up 1 1/2 inches. I checked my receipt and I did order the HD leafs. Where does it say what model on the leafs themselves?

same thru a shackle on and raised my shock mounts

worked out great :sunshine:

Did you shim the axle? I used 4* RE shims and RE T-case drop for my OME 3" lift and I have had no driveline problems since.

No, didn't shim it, but it does have a 1/2" TC drop. Seems like as long as the back isn't higher than the front, vibration isn't an issue. It's a 94, so it's a little more forgiving.

nates94xj said:
Thanks for the replies. I unloaded it and it went back up 1 1/2 inches. I checked my receipt and I did order the HD leafs. Where does it say what model on the leafs themselves?

There should be a yellow painted model number on the top of the leafs, IIRC: I've been running the 2" OME lift on my 97 since 2004 with the medium leafs out back.

I'd also like to point out that the service I received from ARB in Seattle and their distributor in Bellingham, Masterpull was second to none. Their advice on what springs would be appropriate for my application was right on the money.

I also experience some sagging fully loaded, (350#) probably around an inch. You might want to invest in the AAL if you are going to be running with that weight for an extended length of time.

DaveW makes a good point, though: I would be more concerned about the possible driveshaft issues.

OnRoading

I'm in Bellingham, guess I'll have to look into Masterpull. I'll give ARB a call tomorrow and see what they say. I picked my lift up in Renton, and they were very helpful. They even called found a guy there with an Australian accent at my request.

Will the AAL add height or just prevent sag?
As long as the rear end is level or lower than the front, my driveshaft issues are non-existent.

nates94xj said:
I'm sitting about 1 1/2"-2" lower in back. It looks a little silly, but the driveline is quiter than ever. Should I bother with removing a spring isolator or investing in an airbag system? That JCOS leveler thingy makes sense now.

The thing to do is measure in a consistant from the center of the axle to the flare or wheel well opening, loaded and unloaded to get a baseline measurement, and a measurement under load. Then you can ask your advisor over at ARB what the best route to take would be.

I would only use the AAL's if you're going to be loaded most of the time: they tend to destroy the beautiful ride quality of the OME lift when used unloaded. I've also heard that they will, like most AAL's, restore ride height to a sagging spring pack, but not change the arch of a non-sagging leaf pack.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the thingy you're referring to is the ACOS, made by JKS: good for lifter XJ's running a front winch bumper, but hellishly expensive compared to the cost of adding or removing a urethane coil isolator...

ARB recommended MasterPull to me four year ago, and Emil went far above and beyond to get me lifted and to the Vancouver International Airport to catch a plane by the end of the day. I never will forget his generosity and astonishing hospitality. I'm not sure if he is still an ARB distributor, but he's one heck of a guy.

OnRoading

Back