• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about 8.25 Cryco

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Which years came from the factory with these rears and were they ever factory equipped with disc brakes?:helpme:
Blue :)

I believe they can be found along side the D35 from 91-01. They never came in an XJ with disc brakes.

yup... 91 up to 01. they always had drum brakes and did not have ABS. The shafts were upgraded in 96/97 from 27spline to 29spline.

The only 8.25 axles with disc brakes were in the Libertys.

whatevah said:
yup... 91 up to 01. they always had drum brakes and did not have ABS. The shafts were upgraded in 96/97 from 27spline to 29spline.

The only 8.25 axles with disc brakes were in the Libertys.

I know absolutely nothing about Libbys are they a direct bolt in for XJs or are they narrower? Are the Libbys leaf spring rears?:dunno:
Is it easier to get the XJ 8.25 and then use the libby rear brakes on it to end up with a disc brake 8.25?:dunno:

XJs never came with rear discs. You can modify the discs from a D35 and throw them on the 8.25. I think you can throw 8.8 discs on too with a little work.

liberties have a triangulated three link rear. Not sure on width, I would assume about the same, but the bolt pattern is not the same as the XJ!!

actually, the 2002-2007 models should have the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern as Cherokees. the backspace/offset were different (typically 5.5" backspace) but that shouldn't matter if you're going to use a wide wheel anyhow.

whatevah said:
actually, the 2002-2007 models should have the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern as Cherokees. the backspace/offset were different (typically 5.5" backspace) but that shouldn't matter if you're going to use a wide wheel anyhow.

Thanks that helps alot. Trying to find a bolt in setup to replace my D35 but that requires no welding b/c my workshop was recently broken into and my welder was stolen.:eek:
:idea: Whats your thoughts on a 8.25 and disc conversion? The simplest way with just hand tools & a jack or two.

I have searched and there is suprizingly little info on Libbys available. Your help is greatly appreciated.:worship:
Blue :)

Back