• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

deaccelertation wobble

rifle6

NAXJA Forum User
howdy, this is my 1st post here, so bear with me.
i have read about 4000 posts on the death wobble and I have not came accross a thread that is what i'm lookin for.

here is the situation as best as i can describe it,n the wobble is more like a grabbing pulsing feeling, it is definatly in the brake peddle and i can hear it.

before the lift the xj drove great 0-80 no wobble. stopped great no wobble.

installed add a leaf in rear, new rubicon express shocks.

test drove. no wobble at all in acceleration 0-50 mph.
extream wobble during breaking, that gets worse the harder you push. then goes away completely if you let of the brake.

so i put the front lift on , 2 inch spacer, new shocks, rides great sits about where i wanted it, (maybe a bit low) but oh well.

after test driving it with all the lift on, the wobble is still there , no change.

i did not think a 2 inch would change anything with the drive angles. it is probably not much higher than when it was new.

my thoughts.
1. it did fall about 3 inches to the cement and landed on the drum, but i have hit them harder than that trying to get them off before on other trucks so i don't really thing that is it.
2. after tightening everything on the rear and putting the wheesl on and letting it down i did remember that in the instructions i read DON'T TIGHTEN THE SPRING EYE BOLTS UNTIL THE WHEELS ARE ON THE GROUND.

i did not follow that...... so is that a possibility?

as far as front alignment goes,, i had not messed with that yet so i don't think it is up there.

axle alignment, shim spacing? there were no shims in it before,
but i put the spring bolt into the ubolt plate hole, and the other side into the hole on the axle.

is there more to aligning an axle that that? 1st one for me so that is a possibility

it does look like the axle shaft is straight and level it looks like it needs to rotate up just a scoush but i don't remember how it looked before.

and is it possible to rotate it without shims?

sorry for all the dumb questions, i'm a lift rookie.

If it shakes while braking and stops when you let up on the brakes then it's in the brakes. If you dropped it 2 or 3 inches on a drum then it must be bent. That's a big drop. Jack it up, pull the rear wheels, put it in neutral and turn each side and see who's dragging unevenly.
Oh yeah, make sure you've got stands under the axle. :-O:scared:

May want to look into an adjustable track bar as well. Look for play in all of the steering bushings and TREs as well.

MisterFRjunior said:
If it shakes while braking and stops when you let up on the brakes then it's in the brakes. If you dropped it 2 or 3 inches on a drum then it must be bent. That's a big drop. Jack it up, pull the rear wheels, put it in neutral and turn each side and see who's dragging unevenly.
Oh yeah, make sure you've got stands under the axle. :-O:scared:

Pretty bold statement to make from a distance. How do you know that it must be bent?
Completely dismissing the fact that Rifle has lifted his Jeep 2" and not adjusted the steering to correct the changes that take place when altering the draglink angle on the XJ's Inverted Y linkage?

Rifle, I posted a response to the same questions you posted up on RME. Go over and check out the link to step you through the process of adjusting your steering. I've used this same process for years, resulting in even tire wear and proper handling.

While it could be a bent brake drum causing the wobble, it's much more likely to be incorrect steering geometry/worn components causing this to occur.

Let us know what solves the problem.

i had the same problem when braking and it was because i had too much toe in. set the toe to zero and the wobble went away when braking.

well, i finally got some time to look into the drum, i jacked it up the right side turned freely, the drivers side was bound TIGHT.

i pulled the drum and on the inside of where i hit the outside was rainbow colored, extream heat at work.

30 bucks and and a new drum later...SMOOTH BRAKING!!
that was it, just goes to show how a little hammer work might not be the way to go.

thanks for all the input and help.

Back