• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruff Stuff Diff covers Oil Level.

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I installed Ruff Stuff Diff covers on the 8.25 & Dana 30 today & I was about to pump both diffs full of Amisol 75-140 sever gear lube when I Noticed the fill hole is higher up on the Ruff Stuff covers than it is on the stock covers.
My question is How do I fill to the proper level ?
If I use the normal method of filling up to the fill hole will I overfill it ?
Will overfilling or slightly underfilling cause a problem?

Thanks for the answers in advance!!
For anyone wanting a seriously solid diff cover the ruff stuff covers fit the bill better than anything I have seen!!

Last edited:
I read about this somewhere. It said to fill to the normal level. Overfilling would cause the fluid to leak out making a big mess. You should look to see what the normal amount is for your differential. I think mine is 2.2 quarts. The article I read didn't say it would hurt anything, just make a mess if you overfilled. Hope that helps.

garr said:
I installed Ruff Stuff Diff covers on the 8.25 & Dana 30 today & I was about to pump both diffs full of Amisol 75-140 sever gear lube when I Noticed the fill hole is higher up on the Ruff Stuff covers than it is on the stock covers.
My question is How do I fill to the proper level ?
If I use the normal method of filling up to the fill hole will I overfill it ?
Will overfilling or slightly underfilling cause a problem?

Thanks for the answers in advance!!
For anyone wanting a seriously solid diff cover the ruff stuff covers fit the bill better than anything I have seen!!

Is your rear end rotated for an SYE?

Do you have a low pinion or high pinion dana 30?

Sorry I thought I was on a different thread. :doh:

Last edited:
What year rig?

I'd just fill it up high enough that you can touch the fluid when you stick your finger inside, and it should be good.

Like Cal was alluding to, I think Dan makes his covers so that if your pinion is rotated up, you can still fit the correct amount of fluid in there...

Maybe he'll chime in and let us know :D

JNickel101 said:
Like Cal was alluding to, I think Dan makes his covers so that if your pinion is rotated up, you can still fit the correct amount of fluid in there...

Maybe he'll chime in and let us know :D

I didn't want to complicate the issue with too much information. ;)

garr said:
2001, SYE, 3deg shim. Low Pinion 30 in front.

Thats why the holes are high. The rear would be 'right' if you were rotated at 4-6 for an SYE, and the front is prepared for a high pinion 30.

cal said:
Thats why the holes are high. The rear would be 'right' if you were rotated at 4-6 for an SYE, and the front is prepared for a high pinion 30.

Ok, So will filling the d30 till fluid pours out of the hole cause any problems?
How about the 8.25?

garr said:
Ok, So will filling the d30 till fluid pours out of the hole cause any problems?
How about the 8.25?

It shouldnt. That may "technically" be overfilled, but *I* would do it.

cal said:
It shouldnt. That may "technically" be overfilled, but *I* would do it.
Thanks, I will give it a shot.
I read all these post about overfilling & fluid getting into the rear brakes that I was worried about filling that high without some giudance.

If your seals are bad that could happen. The axles are vented so you really shouldn't have a problem. I would expect drowning the gears will have an impact on resistance.

sjx40250 said:
If your seals are bad that could happen. The axles are vented so you really shouldn't have a problem. I would expect drowning the gears will have an impact on resistance.

I just filled it & It took around 6 to 8 ounces additional in the rear & around 3 to 4 ounces additional in the front.
Will that little extra gear oil make that much difference??

Most fluid capacities (from FSMs) are on my site in the Tech section, you can get your capacity there.

A little extra should not hurt - 4-6oz in the face of a quart and a half or so isn't much. Overfilling by more than 20% or so can cause foaming and cavitation, but 4-6oz in the face of 2.2qt (~67-68oz) should cause you no trouble - that's not even 10%.

Where do you find the tool to remove/tighten the diff fill plug? Those things are a huge hex. I haven't seen one anywhere.

A bolt with the correct size head and two nuts should do the job.

PacificEd said:
Where do you find the tool to remove/tighten the diff fill plug? Those things are a huge hex. I haven't seen one anywhere.

Wal-Mart, 3/8" drive hex socket. $15 for a set. Mine is a 10mm.

Back